Long Island landscapers

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by mmacsek, Jan 2, 2007.

1. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I hope I'm in the right forum but I'm sure it will be moved if it isn't. I talked to a guy today and told me he ran one of the largest landscape co.'s on Long Island about 8 years ago. The name was A to Z Landscape. Did anyone ever hear of this place? A few things didn't seem to add up but maybe I am off base. I'm curious. Thanks Matt

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Never heard of them. Did he say where he was from? I can name a couple of big players, but their areas are all relevant. :rolleyes:

3. lawnguy268

lawnguy268 LawnSite Member

I might have seen them around the dix hills area maybe . I see so many different companies its tough to keep track.

4. paponte

Isn't that great! A couple stick out in my head. "Jose, Jose's, Pedro, Pedro's, Unlicensed, Uninsured, Clueless Landscaping". It truly is out of hand. :clapping:

5. Hollywood Landscaping

Hollywood Landscaping LawnSite Member

a big hello to all the long island landscpe co. newbie here, been in business for almost twenty years now and this winter has ben slow going so this site is great to vent and make the time go by. Paponte , do you turn them in?, where i have my route you need a permit to operate in the towns, so if i see a possible unregistered co. a quick speed dial to the local officials is an order and it works, the officials respect me and its keeps the price up, just my two cents. Also Im looking for a potential partner as after all these years, its taken its toll on me ....

6. Hollywood Landscaping

I used to see A to Z all the time, but lately i haven t seen a truck in site, same goes for Master Lawn Care. Mike G. may he rest in peace......For some reasons God takes all the good ones

7. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

The owner of A to Z sold out and is now in the used restaurant equipment business. I am looking for shop space and he has some available. when i talked to him the tone was very arrogant because I was only looking for a thousand square ft. He told me he was the largest landscaper on Long Island. He went from loading mowers in the back of a truck to an 8 million dollar a year operation in a few years. I am not trying to stir trouble but was curious. Something didn't sound right. Thanks for the replies and have a great day. Matt

8. paponte

Yes hollywood, you need to carry a home improvement license. Do you do work in Lindenhurst? Name sounds familiar, I may have even talked to you before about accounts? Ah, like said the players know who they are and all have respect for each other. We just watch the newbies come and go. I'm itching to get rolling already! :laugh:

9. Hollywood Landscaping

hey paponte, absolutely but besides the license each town wants a permit to operate as well and lots of these fly by night companies do not posess either and therefore their overhead is less, so they charge less just to gain clientel, but i have have very loyal customers who know you get what you pay for. granted there are a fewwho are looking for the cheapest but i dont go over the top for them... the bare miniimum.. Yeah i hear ya Im dying over here..... no snow....the moneys slowed down.... just waiting to break ground.... have a great weekend

10. lawnboy150

lawnboy150 LawnSite Member

If any LI guys are interested or know anyone interested in buying a turn-key biz..... let me know.. I am relocating. thanks