Long Island new tree law

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LJ lawn, Apr 4, 2002.

1. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

just heard on the news Hempstead? long island township will try to pass a law where it will require a permit and a inspection approval if a homeowner wants to cut down a tree bigger than 10" in diameter in his own front yard.HIS yard property not the townships variance.sounds like they're getting bored out there.

2. robert fling

robert fling LawnSite Member

i am located on long island also and i did not hear of that. i agree, they are probably getting bored and also trying to drum up additional revenue since the town and county cannot seem to manage their money to well! thanks for the info.

3. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

I am hearing that these ordinances are becomimg more and more prevalent..

4. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I thought this was a law in NJ.... I think its' good .. Cause most pople dont want trees on their property, so then what everybody cuts down the trees and there are none left except in parks.. That would just not be right... I think it's good that they are protecting the environment... Most cretified and responsible tree companies will only take down trees that pose a threat to a house or people.....

5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

They are also talking about a ban on blowers in N. Hempstead. Can you imagine what we would have to charge to do a clean-up with rakes and brooms? I hope they are ready for that. You're right, these people must be bored....Mike

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

A permit to take down a tree over 10" in the front yards? And you people are complaining? A permit is required to take down any tree in over 90% of the county that I live in. Size doesn't matter. Even if you get caught taking down a sapling it's a hundred dollar fine. Our county makes huge amounts of money on trees that aren't even theirs.

7. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

i agree in protecting the enviornment to an extent ( i'm no tree hugging hippie) but what's the sense of owning a piece of property that you've put all your hard earned $$$ into just so some township offical can tell you how,what, when ,& where you can do with YOUR property.every time i turn on the tv or read the paper there is a new law,new ordinance some moron has dreamed up etc,etc, regulating and controlling every stinkin' aspect of our lives.and they call this a free country?people just can't live and let live .everybody has to worry about what their neighbor is doing.don't these people have anything better to do than to make our lives more complicated and miserable?take for instance- how many times have you read of a new development being built next to a farm that's been there for 200 years and the new residents don't like the noise or the smells because its ruining their way of life now?so they complain and want to get the farm shut down or condemn the property for the township.happens all the time over here.sorry to rant but this stuff burns me up man!(whole pot of coffee doesn't help either)