"Long Island" When is everyone going to stop cutting?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by googles, Nov 15, 2007.

1. googles

googles LawnSite Senior Member

Just a question to all the long islanders out there. What day will be your last cut? i am going right up to thanksgiving stopping Wednesday 21st. what about the rest of you? are you guys even bothering going out next week or is this your last week???

2. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

i will be going out until all the leaves are down !

3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Were done, and started cleanups on Monday. We'll be non stop from now till Christmas. :rolleyes:

4. googles

you started your cleanups since last monday? how? leaves are still coming down. after you do a cleanup a week later there more leaves then when you cleaned them??? fill me in... thanks

well i went out today (friday 16th) and wow it was a pain. seems like there coming down all at once this week. i dont know if i will go out tue and wed next week. i think i will start cleanups after thanksgiving and maybe give it a week. would like to hear from the rest of all the long islanders. we all have the same weather here lol.

5. TREEGUARD

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

I took this week off to let some leaves come down. i had quite a few people complain last week that we were still cutting. Normally i have started clean-ups by now. We'll start cleaning up next week like it or not. I don't want to get caught in an early December snow then we'll all be screwed:cry:

6. paponte

Our cleanups consist of 2-3 visits as needed. Alot of bedwork first round, followed by alot of leaves throughout December. Do your customers not want their houses looking good for the holidays? We do not wait till everyones leaves are down before starting cleanups. Thats just insane.

7. googles

yea i see your point. i know of some guys that do that. i been mowing all week so i dont know if they will have that many leaves before the holiday but there are a lot of leaves coming down these last few days. Question i have is if you are doing 3 cleanups at that one house then you will be paying your workers three times the amount of someone only going there once and doing one full cleanup. i know you wont be there as long as one full cleanup but they wont take that much longer doing the full one time cleanup. i am just curious on how this works. i always done just one big cleanup. which doesnt take that long since i have it well organized. thanksgiving is right around the corner so i dont think everyone will have that spotless lawn.

8. paponte

They are all contracted accounts and get charged hourly, or a set price each time we are there. There is no way possible we could do just one big cleanup and only have 1 month in which to do them.

9. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

If CBS2 is right, you may get some small amounts of snow this weekend.

And greetings from the hometown of the last NASCAR race of the year.

10. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I just keep going around and around the route and try to stay ahead of the village's leaf pick up trucks. I do several clean-ups at each house between turkey day and santa day until all the leaves are down and each house is as clean as possible by Christmas. After that- may the snow fly in vast quantities.