Long lost payment...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IN2MOWN, Dec 22, 2007.

1. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

So the other day Im cleaning out my truck and I find a check from a customer from last January. I think it got caught in between the seats or something and finally dropped out.

This person is no longer a customer of mine and has not been since that last payment for cleanup.

I took the check and tried to call him to let him I had found it but his # was disconnected. I then contacted the bank and was told he still had an account there but they could not give me # to call him. I then decided to go by his house but his neighbor told me he was in AZ for the winter and could not be contacted until he came back which would be in mid March.

What should I do with the check? Toss it? Deposit it? Wait till he comes back?

2. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

I would deposit it....You did the work. If the customer contacts you, tell them you tried to get in touch with them and let them know you had found it and intended on cashing it, but you could not find them. The bank should be able to tell you if it is ok to process the check. If it is still good, deposit it. If the account is closed or if the check is no longer good, then I would just forget about it.

3. TREEGUARD

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

If the bank will take it you should deposit it it is your money after all it has your name on it if it bounces then try & contact him or he'll contact you either way its your money.

4. Elite LawnCare

Elite LawnCare LawnSite Member

Sounds like something I would do! I can be pretty unorganized but I try

5. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Had the same thing happen to us this year. I did a one time aeration for someone and took the check home. I had put it in one of our return checks we send out with our invoices. When my wife print and mailed the invoices she put that envelope inside the bill for another customer. They were a little late paying for that months invoice and eventually sent us the check with a note. Luckly there grandson works for us. Wow how embarassing. Deposit the check.

6. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

If they DID'NT double pay on those services, then deposit it. If they double paid, Then void it and file it. The reason to file it is to have proof that you didnt cash it incase he catches a double payment later.

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

most checks are voided after 180 days, but if you did the work I would deposit it. How did you not realize you never got paid?

8. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I think what happened was that when I get a check I enter it into my program. I then take the checks to the bank. Sometimes I run out of deposit slips so Ill wait to fill one out till I get to the bank. Maybe I put the checks on the seat and it fell off when I turned a corner or slipped down between the seat and the backrest. But it had already been entered as paid so I didnt think about it again.

Beats me.

9. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

If they still owe you for that amount, deposit it. If not, write "VOID" on it & mail it back to him letting him know that it was found while doing some cleaning. Most banks won't take a check more than a year old though.

10. racer56

racer56 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

Take it to his bank and ask if enough funds are in to cover the check. If so then deposit it in your account.