Long narrow yards...what direction?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassrootsinab, Jul 28, 2004.

1. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

I have a couple of really narrow yards, such that to go a different direction each time is nearly impossible. I know that you should vary your cutting direction and on most you can go at a 45 degree angle but it takes soooo much more time. What do you guys do on these narrow strips? I just usually go the direction that is long and none of the yards are rutted or anything. Like to hear from you guys.

2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

same here.

Like inbetween sidewalks and roads, i just do the long ways and hope for the best.

No problems yet, because we have had SO much rain, it doesnt hurt the lawns

Trevor

3. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I would stick to the way you are doing it. Like you said, angles can really slow you down in narrow areas. Just try to alternate tire position.

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

For those lawns where its really a pain to switch up the direction, I'll change it up maybe every 4 or 5 weeks to get rid of the ruts. Some lawns, once you make a couple passes around the border there isn't much left to cut.

5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

overlap, start 10" off a border and string trim it if you find you're getting ruts.

6. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly.... That's what I do, one week I'll start to the far right, the following week I'll start on the left and so on, at least this way I am somewhat alternating the pattern.

7. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

my yard is 1.5 acer and i can bang it out in 45 min with my Ferris is3000.

8. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

I have a few that are very narrow or shaped so its bout imossible to mow them in any way but one direction. I go down in different spots when its dry so I dont put ruts in, but its not a problem when the grass is wet and growing good.

9. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Go clockwise first pass, couterclockwise following week then back and forth so you are pushing the grass the opposite direction each week to keep it standing up.