Long or Short Bed?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Kennedy Landscaping, Oct 22, 2008.

?

When you buy a truck, what length of bed do you prefer?

1. Gotta Be An Eight Footer

62.7%
  2. Six And A Half Works For Me

30.1%
  3. Don't Really Matter

6.0%
  4. I Use A Van

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I Use My Car

1.2%
  1. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

A short wheelbase is less stable while towing.

2. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Long bed no doubt about, especially if you get into landscaping and such. Only way I would buy a short bed is if it was a dailydriver to the shop and stuff. But I will always have a long bed also

3. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I overload my 6.5' already.... 8' would be killer. Plus, the truck looks better with SB

4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

i wish i had an 8foot bed

5. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

My daily driver and the truck i'm gonna be plowing with is a short bed, but it's a crew cab 3/4 ton so an 8' would make it huge, i had a dually like that, no more of those for daily drivers. My mow truck has an 8' bed, and that usually isn't enough. Eventually I would like to retire my 96 from everday duty and get a Super Duty F350 4x4 diesel dually regular cab with a 12' flatbed and hoist, it'd be a good all around truck for mowing, mulch, landscape, tree and shrub work, and to haul the salt spreader. For a work truck, at least an 8'. If I had to have only one truck it would either be the one I just described or a Super Duty 250/350 4x4 diesel regular cab with an 8' bed.

6. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

for work 8'. personal is a 6', which i prefer for a dd (POV) unless its a regular cab.

7. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

The bigger the better is what she always says.

8. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

i think anybody who buys a 6 needs to have there head checkd but then again what do i know i cut grass and plow snow.

9. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I had a short bed, and wanted a long bed, for all the stated reasons. Now, I bought the long bed, and now want to buy a longer trailer. I am realizing that in some developments, a longer trailer with my long bed will not fit between the driveways of my customers and my neighbors. If I had gotten a short bed, another 2' on the trailer would make it fit just so. The only thing that goes in the back of my truck are a chemical tank when I am spraying, and sticks and crap that I pickup throughout my day. I didn't really need a long bed.

10. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

My 4-door S-10 for go getting, small jobs, only has a 4.5 foot, barely enough room to fit a shovel in it at an angle. I made up for it with an 8 foot trailer.

My Dump truck has an 8 foot bed, works great.