long or short?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Kumi, Apr 7, 2006.

?

When you're mowing lawns in the summer do you wear shorts or pants?

1. Shorts

237 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. Pants

208 vote(s)
    46.7%
  1. Waterscapes By Design

Waterscapes By Design LawnSite Member

Man I've lived around the Gulf Coast my entire life, from Corpus Christi, Tx- all the way to Tampa, Fl. And I have never been able to acclimate to the humidity and heat. I sweat if I even think about going outside. I cant wear pants May-October usually, my old partner would never wear shorts, I think he had a phobia though....lol

Yes my shins do get ate up after a day behind a trimmer....

2. Phil's Lawn Care

Phil's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Dickies, Cat. steel toe work boots, t shirt, hat, and sunglasses, (once in a while I wear socks and underwear) yeah right!! :)

3. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

Theres nothing like getting ready to do the nasty when your old lady looks down and screams because your legs look like they have been run threw barbwire and a compost pile.The cure JEANS. My buddy`s old lady came up with this. I couldnt stop laughing. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

4. joubenlawnservices

joubenlawnservices LawnSite Member

My first lawn care (i.e. professional weed eater) job was in Pensacola, FL, also known as fire ant heaven. I wore shorts all the time and almost became immune to their bites. Also, took an extra ten minutes in the shower every night getting the grass out of my hairy legs.
    I now wear pants and long sleeve shirts year round. After pouring concrete in the Florida heat having this uniform in TN is no problem. It also greatly reduces those trimmer pains that make you want to spew profanity.
    Call me crazy but people don't have to ask if I'm serious about doing a professional job.

5. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

I wear Alhgenny Trail pants (similar to Carhartts) all the time when i'm out Landscaping. If its really hot out and i'm only going to be running the mower then i sometimes wear corgo shorts. For extra protection i wear Timberland Pro steel toed boots, Carhartt pigskin leather gloves, safety glasses, ear protection and a baseball style cap.

6. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Always Pants

7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I wear jeans only. Dont like getting my legs sand blastes with the weedwhacker.

8. GearHead_1

GearHead_1 LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Long pants for this kid.

9. BMFL79

BMFL79 LawnSite Member

At 6' and 300 pounds, shorts. I sweat way too much for pants. Strange thing, though. I always wear two t-shirts, or a t-shirt and polo. I like a heavy t-shirt, and most of the ones I can get are too thin. Plus, the inner shirt catches some of the sweat so I don't look too sloppy. Can't help the sweat.

10. Waterscapes By Design

Waterscapes By Design LawnSite Member

Im here in central Florida and it is hot and muggy, plus, Im just a guy who sweats.....Doesnt matter what the temp is, if I am outside for a few minutes I start to sweat.

I have always worn shorts, and just last month I put a new blade on the stick edger and tore my shins up bad that day between the sand and painting my leg with dirt.

So a couple weeks ago I put another new blade on the ol' edger and had the foresight to put some pants on that morning....I still was sweatin, but damn when I came home that day and took off my clothes I was clean underneath, it was neat, I didnt have to stand in the shower and clean any cuts or pull the hair out of my legs with the dried mud and grass stuck in it....I think I have become a convert to pants........:dizzy: