long pants or shorts for employees?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by green with envy, Mar 17, 2005.

1. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

I am in the middle of writing up my employee policy guides for the year.
    I would like your input. Should employees be allowed to wear short if operating any type of machine??
    I myself always wear long pants, I think it's just smart. Should it be a company policy?

What are your thoughts!

Mike

2. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I personally think that it looks more professional. We wear kacky pants. Some have dickies, some are just basic kackies. If I could, I would buy all my guys tan BDU's. The pockets are great for picking up trash as they go, etc.

3. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Pants, tank tops ( so yall's beer belly gets a tan as well as the back of the neck ) and flip-flops..... hey.... we are at the beach. (LOL)

[​IMG]

Real life, Kaki shorts, steel toed boots and a polo shirt with company lettering.

4. Green Earth

Green Earth LawnSite Member

We wear Carhartt shorts in the summer, they look good and last a long time.

5. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

let 'em wear shorts. I wear shorts in the summer and it's just more comfortable. I don't think tank-tops or sleeveless shirts look good, but I doubt many folks will complain if you are outside in shorts on a hot day.

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Heat exhaustion causes a lack of productivity.
    Denim shorts- Not cutoffs.

7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Kaki shorts or pants works well. I use to work in supermarkets when I was a teen and back then they had this delusion about their so called image they insisted button down shirt dress pants and tie no sneakers. For the life of me you will never tell me why this would matter especially when I was working 3rd shift. Well where are they today they are out of business in this state and stop & shop the store that took them out now wears sweatshirts and blue jeans and sneakers I guess the over dress look no longer matters.

8. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

No shorts here for sure. I think they are a good way to get your legs cut easier, but that is just me. I have seen guys in shorts and flip flops couldn't beleive my eye's.Tony

9. Shane@Gautreaux's LNG

Shane@Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Member

Long Khaki pants.... Cleaner look and safety issue.

10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Some one please explain how long pants will keep you from getting cut please.................

What's the safety issue?

By the way, I'm not being a smartazz, I'm just trying to get some thinking on the issue.