long pants or shorts/ short sleeves or cutoffs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WildMowMan, May 20, 2003.

1. WildMowMan

WildMowMan LawnSite Member

I've worked for companies in the past that are extremely strict about the uniforms and dress code of the crew.so much so that I've had to sit thru 1/2hr discussions as to why I shouldn't take a knife to my khakis in the 98degree summer heat.........now on my own I don't really care what anyone wears so long as they are comfortable and flexible........I understand professionalism to unprofessionalism, but what about comfort to discomfort? What d'ya think?

2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I think the guys should look somwhat presentable but their comfort is # 1 since they are the ones doing the work. The guy I work for has no dress code, he dosent have co. t's. I personally prefer jeans because we run the trimmers with guards off and it protects your legs. Also, less of a chance of getting tics.

Also, you might not think but on those real hot and sunny days, the jeans actually help keep the sun and heat off your legs.

Other wise, just jeans (shorts if im just runnin the mower) and a tee (usually a sleeveless)

:cool:

3. the point man

the point man LawnSite Member

I'm a one-man band, but here's what I wear and would expect
    the same from employees...
    - a collared shirt (usually polo) with no dirt, stains, graphics
    (other than that of my company). I carry an extra in the truck.
    - jeans or shorts, as clean as possible, no rips.

One temp who worked for me once showed up in a t-shirt that
    said "Jesus is coming ... look busy!"

4. Arc Burn

Arc Burn LawnSite Member

I do repair work for a landscaper who has a bunch of thugs runnin around beaten up equipment,i swear these friggin guys look like their in a street gang or something,ratty old cut-off clothes,walk around swearin with cigarettes hangin out their mouths,The poor customers must me mortified:eek:

I tell him all the time to do something about it but,he don't care,whatever:rolleyes:

5. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

Our mowing crews wear "daisy dukes". Not only do they attract attention, but they breath well too.:p

Guys doing trimming always wear pants, usually thin shell type, because of the heat we get here. Mower operators wear pants or shorts, and we all wear grey t-shirts (usually).

6. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

we wear shorts in the summer and jeans in the winter. but we always have on a company t-shirt or sweatshirt and company hat
    ........always

7. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I'm working on a "uniform" as we speak.

I'm thinking about going with khaki pants like Dickie's, you know work khaki's and either green or red t-shirts with my logo on them. Must have leather boots they don't have to be steel toe, but NO tennis shoes at all.

No shorts, no holes, no wife beaters, no graphics on anything you wear unless it's my companies graphics.

8. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

I wear a gray t-shirt(no holes or graphics) blue jeans and a hat with my company logo. The gray shirts will also have my company logo on them soon.

9. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 LawnSite Member

We have t's and sleeveless t's with company logos, all different colors. Shorts or pants. Jeans or kakis. Boots in the fall and winter, or when landscaping. Sneakers(I know it sounds stupid) when we cut. Easier to walk backwards when trimming or edging.

10. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: we have a contract with Cintas for pants and shorts, wheather the guys pants or shorts is up to them just as long as they where the company supplied uniforms. i also supply baseball hats, tanks tops, tee's, sweats, pullovers, i dont mind speading on uniforms as long they wear them.