1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Long Sleeve for Sun Protection?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ztrguy, Mar 5, 2007.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

Who wears long sleeve for sun protection? If so, what have you found that works? Something light, breathable, and comfortable. I was thinking of trying the Under Armour long sleeve shirts. Anyone tried these? Any suggestions? THanks for your time!

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

The under armour works ..but it leaves even funnier tan lines than we already have..LOL....I switch from that to just short sleeve Tshirts and 45+ sunscreen
  3. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Use long sleeved light polyester shirt, work best, breatheable and quickly dried when sweating. I won' t take chance with sun burning your skin every week. Learn this from Mexican crews who every one of them wear long sleeved shirt with broad brim hat, look like it is suffocating but in reality best protection against sun on your skin.
  4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I wear a t-shirt and no sunscreen. Have been for years. My father does the same thing. He looks mexican from all the sun over the years. I am also dark but not nearly as much as he is. My tan goes half way away in the winter then comes right back in the spring.
  5. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

My wife works as a surgical assistant mainly with eyes and skin, Better put on some sunscreen from the stories I here. Just looking out for a fellow LC bud!

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

Go to Bass Pro or Cabelas and check out the fishing shirts they have. The sleeves can roll up and be buttoned to make a short sleeve shirt. They are also vented in the back. These are great shirts for cutting I think.
  7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah I have thought about doing sun screen. I am a heavy sweater so I couldnt fathom the idea of wearing long sleeves in the heat of the summer. Maybe I will start doing that this year!

BTW I read your post on the thread I made :)
  8. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I wear t-shirts and if it gets to hot out then off with the shirt
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Yes sir the Mexican boys taught us a lot on keeping cool....sometimes they will even wear a second shirt with the long sleeve. And they drop down a big piece of cloth from the back of the cap to keep all sun off the neck and ears. Everything needs to be cotton.
  10. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

i will never take my shirt off in a customers yard. very unprofessional in my opinion....but thats my opinion