Long sleeves in the heat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ALBsun1, Jul 19, 2005.

1. ALBsun1

ALBsun1 LawnSite Member

I see a lot of lawn companies in long sleeves, some in pants, Brickman comes to mind first. What are the advantages to that? Protect against bee stings? That i can see, but does it keep you cooler to dress like that? What do you guys wear when it is in the 90s and high humidity? i usually go with light polyester, or nylon whicking t shirts and shorts, things that dry fast and push the moisture away from you, unlike cotten which will keep you soaked in sweat all day.

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I know people that are outside alot like fishermen wear long sleeves for protection from the sun among other things. Less area to put sunbock on. I would think a light colored long sleeve shirt would keep you fairly cool. I wear pants alot especially if I know I've got alot of trimming to do.

3. The Grass Amputator

The Grass Amputator LawnSite Member

When I was growing up in central Georgia, my Grandpa used to get out on his tractor in the middle of the summer, wearing a long-sleeved shirt, and plow in the field. I used to think he was crazy, as he'd tell me It keeps me cooler., then I tried it for myself: It does keep you cooler, but your intake of liquids seems to increase.

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

My last job I worked with many Hispanic guys...each and every one wore long sleeves, not for sun protection, but as one guy put it "my arms no get a-scratchy". So I guess they just have tender, baby-soft, sensitive skin. I'd rather stay cooler.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Our Mexican guys taught us a lot about dealing with the heat. You have got to cover as much of the body as possible. No short shirts or pants for those guys or us either. An coton is best it keeps you wet and cool the entire day. We put cloth on back of neck so no sun gets on it either. We keep towels to wipe the sweat from our faces after each job, first soaking it in a little water from the cooler. We have 5 months of 90+ temperatures and several weeks of 100F. Water over you body is important, just take a hose and wet you entire clothing. Once you get fit it don't really make much difference whether it is 90 or 100.

6. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

or go for a quick dip in the customers pool, thats what I did last week. (Yes I had permission)

7. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

We wear t-shirts (company logo) with cotton polo shorts......ankle socks and tennis shoes......

Yes our legs get nicked up and grass cling to them......but it beats long pants.

Just my opinion.

8. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Right there with you, OMG.

Cotton shorts and cotton polo shirts w/logo. Just can't see how long pants and long sleeves keep a person cooler, but that's just me, I guess. After Thanksgiving, it cools down enough to wear jeans, and by Mid-January, I may even wear a sweatshirt over my polo shirt in the early morning.

9. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

This is my uniform too

10. Kilroy

Kilroy LawnSite Member
    from KY

Thanks for the memory. My gramps was a farmer,too; wore long sleeved work type shirts and a fedora year round even in the heat of summer. Never asked him why. As for myself, my concern has been protecting myself from the sun. I've been good about always wearing a big, wide brimmed hat to protect my neck, nose, face, and ears when working outside. Haven't been good about protecting my bare arms though. Caught up with me today. Regular doctor is sending me to a dermotologist to confirm his diagnosis of a melanova on my left forearm: cut it off; biopsy it. From here on out, it's long sleeved shirts and sunscreen. Oddly, I tried wearing long sleeved shirts a few years ago after reading that people (which would include me) with sun damage in their youth were particularly susceptible to this sort of thing. But gave it up 'cause so many people kept asking if I wasn't burning up ;). So here I am now. Lesson learned. I can learn to live with long sleeved shirts considering the alternative :waving: .