long straight lines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikesjumpingin, Apr 29, 2003.

1. mikesjumpingin

mikesjumpingin LawnSite Member

Just about finished with my first week of cutting with my new Exmark 48 w-b. Thanks for all the advice here.

I made some good money with clean ups, but I'm looking forward to just cutting grass for a while. My sulky should be arriving soon, and I was wondering what to expect.

Any finer tips to cutting long straight lines?

I just picked up a tire gauge and read up on manufacturer's suggestions, but I was wondering what you guys do when you operate the equipment to keep it all straight and nice.

Thanks,

Mike

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

What do I do for straight stripes? Hydro mower, not belt drive! LOL Seriously you should do fine. Of course check that your belts are at the proper tension. Talk to PaulJ on here, he has a belt drive and is able to get nice straight stripes on ditches and banks that I can't figure out how he does that with a belt drive so he must know something ;)

3. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

practice,practice, practice.There was a thread about how to create straight stripes a short while ago but i can't remember how it was titled.Try to search and you'll find a million threads.

4. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

I find that keeping your arms fully extended you can feel inconsistancys in the turf, or veering off course. The trick is to correct it before you go too far out of line.

5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

BHB, how does belt ot hydro have anything to do with mowing straight? I have used soly belt drive walk behinds and have never had a problem mowing straight:rolleyes:

6. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

for the first line pick an object in the distance and "drive" to it. Do not take your eyes off it.

7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the compliment BHB :blush:

Green quest has the idea. You have to look ahead and also look at what your doing. If you turn and see a curve in the stripe then straighten it . Don't just to keep the same overlap because the curve will stay there then. Use straight edges to start. sidewalks, drives, streets, or the side of the house. When doing an angle then start by making the longest straightest line you can. And most importantly, Don't over correct. Very little pressure is needed to make adjustments especially on a hydro. Let the machine do the work for you.
    Here is a pic of an angle cut on a 10000 sq ft area.

Good luck:D

photo9001.jpg

8. Dang, still admits he doesn't know about it and still gave advice. That is truly sad

Haha Evan.

I do the opposite, I start on 1 corner and work my way across the area, this way any corrections that need to be made can with no problem. Also this way if you mess up that first one, you don't see it for a few weeks afterwords.

Belt tension shouldnt matter too much, after all it's a spring giving the tension.

Tire pressure can make a difference, but I have always had to have a finger on a lever just to be sure in the good old days.

9. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

This helped me yesterday when I demo'd the Lazer EPS 60". At first I was watching the anti-scalp rollers and the lines were wavy, then I started concentrating on a spot in the distance, the lines straightened up considerably.

This was my first conscious attempt at stripes too. I should have taken pictures.

10. jbrink01

jbrink01 LawnSite Member

Try what we do when fall plowing a field. Walk off a set # of steps on each end of the yard. Tie your handkerchief to a tree / whatever at one end. Drive to it, never taking your eyes off of it. Correct any little inconsistancies next pass....