Long Term Care of Equipment Tips

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenred, Jun 29, 2008.

1. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

I am no longer in the grass game but I still have my equipment. Pieces like my Billy Goat Truck Loader, a couple different weed eaters, a stick edger, a couple bush trimmers, and a walk behind get little to no use at all.

I wish to keep my equipment in general running order. What are somethings I should do to keep them so? Should I run them once/twice a month? If I run them for how long, ect...

A few pieces like my Z, my blowers, and one of my trimmers still see weekly use so they are getting normal maintenance.

Thanks

2. J.A.G LAWNCARE

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

oil them up run the fuel out clean them up store them in a dry place

3. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Well if possible I would like to do it so I can avoid having to rebuild the carb down the road from it just sitting.

4. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Put an inline shut-off in the fuel line, drop the bowl on the carb, spray the bejeesus out of it with Cyclo/Brakleen/some-other-brand of spray cleaner, reassemble, and forget about it.
    (After you change the oil and service the unit, of course.)
    And use fuel stabizer. You need to put it in the gas when it's fresh. Putting stabilizer in fuel that's more than 30 days old is a waste.

5. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Actually it's the fuel sitting and gumming up in the carb that causes problems. Change all fluids, drain fuel and put a little oil in the cylinder.

6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

use some stabilizer in the fuel and give them 10 minutes of your time each month. :)

7. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

The carb issues are due to the new fuels, it really has nothing to do with sitting. It's almost unavoidable

8. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

I empty the tank and run the gas out when storing equipment. Also bought a small engine spray that you spray in the cylinder when storing. I've left gas in the tank before and engine wouldn't start and then you have to waste alot of time messing with the equipment. If I don't use a piece of equipment very often, I try to run it once a week, but it's hard to remember all the time. I think the fuel stabilizer is only good for about 3 months....not sure.

9. dakota2112

dakota2112 LawnSite Member

I've searched this forum for answers to the debate over "run the carb dry" vs "leave it full" and I don't think there is a conclusive answer either way. I have a mower which has drank stabilized fuel all season long, and I've starved the carburetor every time be it just overnight or for winter storage, for 7 years now and it still runs like a champ. So I'm in favor of starving the carb. However many say this can cause rubber components, seals, gaskets etc to dry out. They also say this leaves a small amount of fuel inside the carb which is then MORE prone to gum up. And, they also say evaporated fuel leaves a crystalline substance like salt, and I have personally seen this on fuel cap vents before. But with all those things against me, I've still had good luck running it empty every time and it starts right up once I've primed it (I installed a marine type primer bulb for this purpose).

10. Cashio13

Cashio13 LawnSite Member

I would say clean them out nice, grease and oil them up, change the oil, and run the gas out of them. and maybe every other month pull it out for about 10-15 minutes of your time and throw some gas in it, run it out again, make sure everything's working well and make sure there are no mice or small animals making a home in your mower. Good Luck.