long term Power Chute review

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by catpride22, Sep 1, 2012.

1. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

I also had a motor go out in the first 50 hours last year and the flap didn't fit well against the deck. New motor from parts store and some drilling and no problems since. Disappointing but would buy another one in a second.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. maelawncare

maelawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have a masterchute that still works every day if that tells you how long i've had it! Have 4 in total and adding one more this year. Agree with the rest, the plus sides FAR out weigh the downsides.
  3. Snydermf

Snydermf LawnSite Member

Any updates on the new design/motor and how its lasting? I just picked up a second one of these used, and a new motor and already have issues after an hours use. I love the product when it is working and want it on all my mowers but I can't seem to get more than a couple hours after the OE motor went before it won't raise or lower again and the motor is shot. Anybody with recent input it would be appreciated
  4. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Alabama

You guys are running this thing that cost $350?

You know you can fabricate one of these at a tiny fraction of that cost?
  5. catpride22

catpride22 LawnSite Member

I own three power chutes,the first two are great but the last one i got was 5 weeks ago and at 70hrs the gear head stripped out,Power chute sent me a new one but i have not recieved it yet.And as for anyone that wants to start fabbing these up for less than $350 just let me no when your ready to start selling them,ive looked at making them,its not done as cheap as you think,or unless you build some cheesy inferior product.
  6. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

A simple design like DixieChopper OCDC is what you need to make My first one was in 95 3500 hrs and never broke and still works No motors to break
  7. Grant11

Grant11 LawnSite Senior Member

The motor on mine broke the other week. I didn't know they were a universal motor that you could get from the parts store... anyways... Got it fixed for $35 and about 5 minutes of wrenching
  8. catpride22

catpride22 LawnSite Member

UPDATE recieved new motor,it lasted 50 hrs and took a crap,contacted Norm he says they sell lifetime warranty one at the local parts store,i would suggest that if anyone wants a powerchute buy the kit with no motor,and get a lifetime one from parts store,i dont know why he just doesnt buy lifetime warranty ones from napa then when we have a problem we just take it back to NAPA.Had great success with my first two chutes but the last one has a crap motor.
  9. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

If your motors are going bad might be the foot peddle shortening them out. Got me a new foot peddle an my motor has been running on the machine for about 600 hours N'AT! DO NOT tell anybody but no power chute no go.
  10. gravelyman50

gravelyman50 LawnSite Member

Hey im right around the corner from you in Baroda. I just got a powerchute three weeks ago and the motor only lasted me 3 working days!!! I was so pissed after dropping almost $400.00. Norm sent me out another motor the next day but after reading all these bad reviews I wouldn't be surprised if my new motor fails quickly.. I think I will just get the napa motor. Do you have a napa part number for what motor it is?? thanks!