long term Power Chute review

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by catpride22, Sep 1, 2012.

1. catpride22

catpride22 LawnSite Member

I have to take the old motor to NAPA sometime after i get done mowing,and match it up,i can post the part# tomarrow after we figure out which one to go with,thats funny yours failed also because Norm just told me its not a common problem.I think it is a common problem with the new cheap chinese motor he sends with them.

2. gravelyman50

gravelyman50 LawnSite Member

And to be honest with you I was not impressed with Norms attitude when I talked to him on the phone. I just dropped $400.00 on this thing and a week later the motor goes out and he tries to tell me it was because something "struck" or "hit" the motor, and that is why it failed. I mean come on man, Im the only guy operating my mower and I know damn well nothing hit the motor. And he also gave me the talk about how these motors are very reliable and they are all factory tested. Im my opinion the powerchute is a good product but it could be a great product with the right person running the business side.

3. catpride22

catpride22 LawnSite Member

Ive been emailing with Norm,he does have a bad attitude and not willing to admit the motors are junk,me and my worker decided to take one of the motors apart,we found the weak link and pretty much think we have a permanent fix for the cheap part that keeps breaking.After a little testing we will know if we have it fixed.

4. Snydermf

Snydermf LawnSite Member

Make sure to let us know if you find a fix, I've tried aftermarket motors from a couple different places so far (NAPA, Advance Auto) seems to be the weak point for sure, everything else you can just straighten out or tweak if need be, but the motors seem to fail even with just normal use.

5. maelawncare

maelawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Motors are junk. But that is not norms fault.

O'Reilly carries the motors. Item number 42-127. Its for the right side window for a 91 Chevy Caprice.

6. aspencade

aspencade LawnSite Member

7. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

It IS his fault. He's the one choosing the components that make up his product.

This is so unfortunate, but, has been a consistent complaint.

8. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

Norm is the Man! Same with his product.

9. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Aspencade. Just curious... if Norm is continually rude to you why do you keep contacting him?

10. aspencade

aspencade LawnSite Member

Well to make a long story short I have a 2011 Bobcat Procat G series which was the first year they made the chute opening bigger and contacted him to see if he was going to modify his chute plate for the bigger opening. So i would contact him once each season to check and was talked down to each time. His cust service skills are lacking.