1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

long term Power Chute review

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by catpride22, Sep 1, 2012.

1. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry, my mistake.....can I plead "senile" because of my age? :)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Take a look at this one i am very happy with mine. It is simple and less likely to be tore off.

Screenshot_2014-07-02-17-31-19.jpg

3. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Agreed!

I'm just over 130hrs, on mine. O'Reilly's and Auto Zone are in just about every town, so I'm not sweating a motor failure too much.

4. catpride22

catpride22 LawnSite Member

OK heres how you fix the powerchute motor problem,first take the gear assembly out and weld the gear to the plate and it will last,weve done two now and both have lasted twice as long as when they were new.Heres some pics

IMG_4440.JPG

IMG_4441.JPG

IMG_4442.JPG

5. Grant11

Grant11 LawnSite Senior Member

My motor gets stuck in the full down position and sometimes in the full up position. Any ideas?

6. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Most likely this is not a motor issue, especially if your unit uses the toggle switch. What happens is after the switch gets towards the end of its life span the return spring does not return the switch to neutral. The switch has a built in overload/safety to keep if from burning out. After returning to the neutral position it will usually reset itself in 30-60 seconds. Eventually, the switch will quit working and need to be replaced.

7. catpride22

catpride22 LawnSite Member

my old one does that,usualy its just a bad wire connection where the plug goes into the motor,i just push it in and it will start working again.

8. Grant11

Grant11 LawnSite Senior Member

thanks guys, i'll play with it and see what i find

9. gravelyman50

gravelyman50 LawnSite Member

I just went through my second motor is less than a month yesterday. Very frustrating. So can the motors that go bad still be fixed? Or are they junk once they quit working?

10. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Alabama

Probably getting one soon thanks for pics like it a lot.

Grass Flap over power chute any day screw motors on subject.