Long Term

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by tiedeman, Oct 30, 2005.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Has anybody actually really thought about our industry in general for the long term? There are a couple of things that bother me from time to time the main one is gasoline.

Will our industry be around in 10-20 years if there is a shortage in gasoline or a huge increase in gas prices or will we have to look for other ways to maintain lawns with electric instead? Will the customer pay for our fuel surcharge if gas prices continue to surge or just forget about the luxury of having their lawn mowed? What about the increase in regulations on exhaust from equipment. Will it get to the point where we can no longer run gas powered equipment?

These are many things that always make me wonder whether the green industry is a good "long term" business investment. I don't think that we are really taking a proactive role on this topic.

What are your thoughts on it?

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I see in my area at least, an overall increase in service-related businesses. That doesn't mean things will stay that way 10, 20, 30 years down the road. But in general, if you can pay someone else to do it, it's a hot thing.

I do think about this often, but not really sure where the industry will be in 20 years.

Probably still at $25-$30 per cut in 2025...;)

3. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it will pretty much be the same in 10 years. Maybe by then our equipment will be less powerful.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I see hybred grass seeds that only need mowing once a season. I see the use of growth retardants as being used regularly because of the cheap cost and wide acceptance. I see the consumer going to walmart and buying a computer program that give all the info and designs to build anything needed. {thats already a reality} And I see the use of composite materials in place of cement and brick. Over all in 30 yrs I don't think we will be much of an industry except for a few conglomerates to take care of the few commercial accounts that would have some kind of maintenance

5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

That is reality here,a big landscaping company here is pushing,sell the materials and have the consumer install it themselves.
    Bascially this company is out of the residentual market and does commercial only installs,work on the state highways etc.

6. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

Good point Tideman, But which industry is invincible. I was a Machinist for 20 years and computers turned that trade into "Button Pushers". When I was in trade school in the late 70's we were always told there will always be a need for Machinists. The answer is make as much money as possible before the bottom falls out. I hope the fall season is very profitable !!!!! Matt

7. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i see more people working more hours to keep up with the demand of tomarrows cost of living. wich in turn leaves less time for them to do lawn care so that means more accounts for us.

8. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

As long as people are willing to ( and can afford it) use our service we will be in business. Most of my clientele what nothing to do with what I do. They just want it handled. Take a look at all the professional teams that have went back to naturalturf.You can't mess with mother nature.There will always be a need for the turf industry.If nothing else we'll plow snow 8 month's of the year due to global warming.:rolleyes: