long trimmers? do they exist?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wrightlawn, Jan 19, 2005.

1. wrightlawn

wrightlawn LawnSite Member

does anyone know if any of the trimmer manufacturers is noticeably longer than the others? i am 6'6 and the angle of the head on most trimmers is at a 30degree angle unless i bend over. any ideas?

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I wish that they would make a longer trimmer too. after a while your back starts to kill you with the shorter ones.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I inquired about this situation to Stihl last year and they said at the time they had no plans on making longer trimmer shafts

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I have the same trouble being 6'4" Do some brands use a different angle on the head? I have used a sthil and it seemed that i had to hold the powerhead super low or bend over to use it whereas a shindawa I tried I was able to hold it more "normal" with the engine held higer up giving me better control.

5. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

i have inquired about this also...i feel for the 6 6 dude...i am only 6 2 and my back kills me after using my stihl...i would buy one tomm if they would make a longer one...

6. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

When I move the handle all the way back it helps a little. But after a long days work my back hurts like hell.

7. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

I have been told by my dealer he could take the head off a pole saw & but on a weed eater head. Never tried it but I have the same problem being 6'4" tall, I do have a callous on my right forearm from where the motor rubs.

8. wrightlawn

wrightlawn LawnSite Member

anyone know if there is such thing as an ajustable head angle? i did look at a husky and echo trimmers yesterday and the echo, while still short, was noticeably longer than the husky.

9. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

Have any of you tried the Stihls with the "bicycle handlebars"? That is what I have been using for a few years. The shoulder harness holds the weight so that my arms don't have too, and at 6' 4" I'm not having too much trouble with bending. The head is not perfectly level with the ground, but it's close enough and I haven't really tried to adjust it much.