Look at my broken rim....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nitro121, Oct 5, 2007.

1. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

my employee called me yesterday and said the rim cracked.....here is what it looks like...it's still on the mower...barely. :laugh: $160 bucks for a new rim and mounted tire. :cry:

But I called the dealer yesterday and he had the new one this morning....but I sent my guy out on the backup mower today.

Peace,
    Gary

close tire.jpg

real close tire.jpg

2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i thought my crew was bad but i can say theyve never done that...how did he say it happened

3. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Too many wheelies? Kind of kidding there, but I suppose reverse to drive wheelies could do that. The rim doesn't look to have been hit. Any marks on the tire like it hit a curb hard sideways?

4. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

donuts in a ztr :confused:

5. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

You must do some steep side hills with the rim giving out like that.

6. nitro121

He was just backing up and heard and felt a clinking sound.

Claims he didn't hit anything and he didn't drive off the trailer or anything. :rolleyes: I even just told him to tell me cause I wouldn't get mad....I just wanted to know what could cause it. He did say he was on a hill at this one house we do.

The dealer said they have never seen anything like it either.

7. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

Hills will do that type of damage. That is about the only way that you could do something like that.

8. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

how steep of a hill would it have to be? damn, im suprised it cracks instead of bends?

i know whatever rims came on my ferris machines are pretty damn thick gauge, if one of my guys ever "broke" one like that id swear the machine flew off the back of the trailer while doing 60mph :confused:

9. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

if you look,its like the one nut is broke loose some causing the others to have a load and brake.the other ones still have paint in the threads.its like a race wheel one loose nut and its a bad day,seen it to many times on race wheels.

10. nitro121

the pics are taken while it's parked. He drove it through the yard, on to the trailer, then off the trailer....so it was flopping around a little bit.

I just can't take his word that "it just started clunking". ;)

100_0473.jpg