1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Look at the check they write you GOOD

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by sheshovel, May 13, 2005.

1. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Did a small job for some clients I have been working for one job or so a year for ten years,maint,relandscapes,stuff like that,
    They have a ranch about 25mi away,so 50 mi round trip.She wrote a check for the amount owed.I THOUGHT. All I looked at is the $850.00 in the little box,saw the 1st word Eight in the long part and looked no further.
    Got home and she had written
    Eight &50/100 ..$8.50 not
    Eight hundred fifty and 00/100 $850.00
    So nowI will have to go all the way back again
    to get a new check written out.Who eats the time and gas ME!! :angry:
    Read your checks!!or mabey I will try to sneak it past the instateller machine or will it KNOW?
  2. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

Did she get the numerical portion right or did she write $8.50 there too? I would not try to sneak it past if the check is for only $8.50. Might have the feds come knockin.
  3. Mats

Mats LawnSite Bronze Member

Why don't you just call and have her mail you a new check?
  4. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have a friend who writes checks like this - they owed us money once and wrote "Three hundred and 50/100" ($300.50) for $350.00, but wrote the number correctly in the little box. I had no problem depositing it for the correct amount at the bank since the amount in the box was right. Some people just never learned how to write checks in check-writing school. See if the bank will let you deposit it as-is, since the numbers in the box are right.
  5. Grass Masters

Grass Masters LawnSite Member
    from NC

YOU GOT REAL LUCKY then because here the bank will only deposit the amount that is Writtten LONG hand and dont even worry about what is in the box.

I had a check for 75 and 0/100 and it should have been 75 and 50/100 and they only would cash it for 75 even even thoug the box said 75.50 but then again that was just 50 cents
  6. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

i would either call and request she mail a new check or you could take it in the bank personally and have the bank call her to varify the correct amount, in the days of electronified checks i think they can just call to varify.
  7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well I e-mailed her last night and lucky for me she had a doc appt in town today so met her at the bank and she gave me a new check,saved me a trip both ways.She apologized .Said it was old age.I aske the teller if they would have cashed it written that way and she said NO!
  8. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I learned the same thing exactly the same way. It was just a mistake, the customer was very apologetic. I now look at each check carefully when it is given to me.
  9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Most financial institutions go by what is written out on the line and not the numbers in the box. Iv'e had that happen before... Luckily, one time I was making a deposit and the teller caught it but the customer that had written the check banked there as well. The teller called the lady and explained the situation and asked her to confirm the amount the check was supposed to be written for. Once confirmed she (the teller) made the change on the check and stamped it and all was good.
  10. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah! Why can't she mail it?