LOOK at the lawn pictures..(summer patch maybe)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ant, Aug 7, 2006.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

The second pix looks like a fairy ring.
    The first looks like someone ran a fert or weed control bead along the side walk.

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

My guess is brown patch. Does the grass at the edges have some green with little brown spots? Have you folks been getting a lot of evening rains?

4. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

That could definitely be Summer Patch or Necrotic Ring Spot. Bluegrass? Sodded lawn?

5. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I say either summer patch or necrotic ring spot. Probably NRS. Brown patch would take the whole patch and not leave the center so healthy and there would be a defined "smoke ring" along the very outer edge, at least while it is active. Fairy ring is not as defined and in a complete circle. With last week's heat and heavy rains in Michigan I've seen disease activity I never had the think twice about on a home lawn. The best cure for any of the patch diseases is core aeration the take stress off the root system, back off the N, and possibly an organic fert. program such as Nature Safe.

6. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

yes blue grass sod

7. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

I would aerate the heck out of it early September & overseed with turf type tall fescue.

Until then, keep it well watered. Cut high as you can get away with. I don't think a fungicide will be of much benefit this late in the summer.....

8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

9. TheGrassBandit

TheGrassBandit LawnSite Member

hmmm.... that is interesting

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

My vote is Necrotic ring spot. Particularly a problem in sod--more common if less than 2 years old. The cheaper, older cultivars of Kentucky bluegrass are worse. Patch it with new sod disease free sod.