Look at This: Big Tex Vanguard trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by coalburner, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like you're all ready to go. You've got more equipment ( & much better ) than a lot of guys who have been doing this for a while. Best of luck to you!

2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

What do you mean by "hobby"??.:confused:

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Yeah, I bet we could all afford nice, new equipment like that if we cut as a "hobby". If ya know what I mean.:rolleyes:

4. coalburner

coalburner LawnSite Member

According to Webster's dictionary a hobby is defined as an interest engaged in for relaxation.

Lawn care (at the present time) is what I do for relaxation and fun. I find it to be a challenge to create a yard that is out of the ordinary and noticed by all who appreciate a beautiful, well maintained, sculptured lawn. I work full time as a control room operator at power plant. Lawn care (now) is not my source of income or my job it is my hobby (it is what I enjoy doing). In the future I hope to take what I enjoy doing (lawn care) and make it my source of income (my job). I enjoy keeping the grass green and striping a lawn. I think that lawn care is a fine art that not everyone is able to appreciate and enjoy.

5. coalburner

I picked up the GHS Walker used from a Dixon Dealer for $3200. I still have'nt figured that one out yet:D

6. I like that.:)

The local trailer dealer carries Big Tex as a premium brand trailer. They're nice equipment.

It was years ago that my avocation (lawncare) became my vocation. It wasn't a hobby for me because I made money at it. But it wasn't my vocation either, as I worked at the telephone company.
    If you're mowing strictly as a hobby, you have some fortunate relatives. And I'd bet they're always glad to see you. :angel:

Dave

7. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

That is a sweet trailer!!! What do you pull that with?

8. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

What did the trailer cost?

9. edrenckh

edrenckh LawnSite Member

I have the same trailer, but no diamond plate in front. I also added a side gate and brakes on two axles (it's the law here).

~3K here in MN at Absolute Trailer Sales.

I wouldn't try and run a bobcat up on it. The weight is different when loaded, I think a stronger trailer would be better. Ramp will crush, trailer may work for a once in a while thing, but not regular.

10. coalburner

Right now I pull my trailer with a 96 Tahoe but my future plans include a F350 PSD.

I paid about $2400 for the trailer and added the chrome wheels, diamond plate rock guard (local metal shop cut it for me about $50 for it), and the homemade gate lift (about $75 to make it). So I have almost $3000 invested in my trailer.

In reference to the PM the materials used in the gate lift included: 2- 160lb garage door springs from home depot,
    6- 3/8 X 21/2 shoulder allen bolts, 1 stick of 3/4 inch machinist grade bronze/bar stock (cut into 2 inch pieces with 3/8 hole board in the center of it), and galvanized chokers (custom made to length). I experimented with the spring weight and cable length until it lifted with ease.

PS. Lawn care is my hobby but I never said that I do it for free. :D

dsc01180.jpg