Look for help, please.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by C&L, Feb 24, 2005.

1. C&L

C&L LawnSite Member
    from mn

Wow, great web site!
    I am looking for some advice. I have read most post here and haven’t found the exact answer's I am looking for. I have run a successful landscape business for the last five years. I am in the process of entering the lawn care market. I will be taking my pesticide applicators license test in a few weeks. My plan (which could change after I hear some input) is to buy a used enclosed v-nose drive on, drive off trailer. I would have it professionally stickered up. The thought behind this is that the extra money spent on the trailer is good marketing? I already own Sthil power brooms, weed whackers, chain saw and a blower that see sporadic use in the landscape division. I thought I would buy the trailer, a larger mower (main question) and a trimmer mower (another question). I was thinking of keeping just one or two (any thoughts here) employees busy two to three days a week. I am planning on about 18-25 commercial accounts, maybe some residential.
    What kind of mower should I start with? A new Kubota 60" zero turn, a used walk behind? There is such a huge difference here. I don't want the stuff breaking down all the time. I want to keep my overhead under control. I am looking at 9k to 40k sq ft size accounts. Also I figure our overhead based on gross volume. My early projections on this venture put my overhead around 29% of my gross volume leaving 70% for labor and profit. I figured my fertilizer into my overhead. Does this seem to be concurrent with your businesses? Where do you like to see your net profit? I am looking at bidding around $50. per man hr. I will bid contract, but figure my time do the job based the $50. mark. Sound right?
    I will stop here for now.

I really hope to gain some insight here.

Thanks in advance.

2. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

For one, 70% profit looks about right to me. Thats what we've been getting pretty consistently. I'd say go with a 52" hydro walk behind with sulky :cool: We're looking to get the Exmark Turf Tracer.

Welcome to Lawnsite.