1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Look, I like Wright as much as anyone, BUT

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK, I'm having trouble sleeping and I'm cranky... so here's my rant...

While I do like Wright, and thing their products are neat... and also the ones they license... BUT... when will their strangle-hold on this market segment ever end?

I tried to look it up and couldn't make much sense of it all. I mean best as I can tell, the first patent is from like 1994??? And does that not make it really close to the end of the patent protection?... But then I look some more and there must be, oh I dunno, 20 patents listed for stand-on mowers, all of which sorta seem repetitive... and one I saw was like 2005?

I mean if I held these patents, I'd want them to never expire, or I would want them to make me so rich I didn't even care anymore. That's a given.

But on the other hand, this segment is really particularly stagnant....
    I mean it's made some small progress milestones...
    But it's still pretty primitive and really has not went anywhere in development.

Just wondering when it will finally be an open market for others to get involved in and really start making some remarkable strides?
    :walking: :walking: :walking: :walking: :walking:
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Back in the late 90's I had an interest in Wright mowers and I wanted to look at them close up or maybe even demo one. So I go to their website and look for a dealer locator. There wasn't one so I had to call the factory and they couldn't even help me find one. They referred me to a distributor in NJ. After that I just lost all interest in them. It was just the way they handled the whole thing that turned me off. It made me feel as though if I had a problem and the dealer couldn't fix it they wouldn't want to be involved. Bought an Exmark instead.
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

At the time....you were living in MD ? and the factory is in MD also? Looks like they would of been able to get ya to the HQ or something to look at one!!

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I believe the better alternative is the Convertible type mower. its 70"s long and can spin on a dime and you can lift and lower the deck and change height's easily.

In walk mode you can do hills the stand ons cannot and get under trees and low bushes the stand ons cannot.

You can also put a trailering bagger on it in seconds and take it off just as fast.

The only thing is i dont think it will be that comfortable in ride mode long and i dont think it will do hills that a true walk behind will do.

This mower needs to get in the hands of a company like exmark to see its full potential.

With the stand ons at 58 to 64"s long, 70"s is not bad.
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Are you ever going to volunteer to be our test dummy and buy one of those or what?

6. John Gamba

from ct

Try and get one:cry: They where going to be a Sponcer here but i guess that went south.

I do believe it will shake the stand on market in the right hands
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Want to talk about something that will shake the market...
    Well you ought to see this set of plans I'm working on...

But the market itself is so locked down right now that I'll just have to sit on it.
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, living in MD at the time.
  9. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Just for the record.......I had a major problem with my second Stander right after I got it. The deck was tweeked........and causing mowing issues.... My biggest problem was getting my dealer to recognize there was an issue. Once I got to the distributer level ....I had many calls back and forth with the the Wright Engineers and I had a new deck on the mower within 2 weeks.....

As for the patents.....I stated this in another thread recently......I agree I would love to see more competitors in this arena......
  10. John Gamba

from ct

I know this feeling very well:cry: