Look Out For Kids Playing After School

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cookedonphonics, Oct 13, 2006.

1. cookedonphonics

cookedonphonics LawnSite Member

Hey All,

Just want to give you all a heads up to be alert for kids playing after they get home from school.
    I had a little girl (10-12 yrs old) come flying out of an alley behind some shrubs and slam into the side of my truck while on her bike. Yes, the truck was in motion. Luckily I was only doing about 10 mph at the time. She's fine aside from a tiny brushburn on her knee.
    She was scared sh**less (for the record so was I....lol), but she's ok. I quickly got out of the truck to see if she was ok and all she could say was, "I'm sorry sir, I'm really sorry!"
    It was totally her fault and there were several witnesses (adults and kids) who saw it who actually knew the little girl and recognized that it was her fault, but we were all concerned that she was ok first and foremost.
    Funny thing is...her biggest concern was making sure her mom didn't find out because she would end up getting punished...(oh, I remember those days...lol)
    Anyway... just keep your eyes open guys and gals... kids are all over the place in the summer, but they seem to be a bit more reckless and wound up this time of year after sitting in school all day long...
    Be safe.

2. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Right-o look out for the kids. I had a little girl 10-12 ride right out in front of me the other day. I had to almost lock em up to keep from hitting her. She just rode off and flipped me the bird!
    Kids these days!:dizzy:

3. zeroturner

zeroturner LawnSite Member

I agree, especially when doing multi-family complexes.

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I have gone off mowing in the back yard and come out and find kids playing and jumping on my trailer. I never actually saw anyone try to skateboard on the end of the railling but I have some scratches and marks on my old trailer. I aggree, kids theese days...................................

5. zeroturner

zeroturner LawnSite Member

I have had the same thing happen to me J&R Landscaping. On another occassion I was cutting at one of my apartment complexes and all of a sudden a couple of kids came out and started running behind my mower and their parents didn't even tell them to stop. I had to stop the mower and explain to them why they should not run behind or even be near a mower in operation.

6. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

We rarely see kids. They are all either playing organized sports, or inside their houses. It is good for us mowing, but kind of a shame also, not to see kids just running around being kids.

7. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Doesn't that blow your mind? I was mowing one day and this little kid keeps riding back and forth on the sidewalk where I'm cutting. I was using my large wb so there was a real danger of it throwing a rock, etc. After the 3rd time riding by I stopped him and kindly but firmly told him it was dangerous to ride his bike around someone using a lawnmower because he could get hurt and could he plese ride his bike somewhere else until I left. He said ok and rode off. 2 minutes later this guy walks up to me trying to look all bad or whatever and says, "What did you say to my son? I saw you talking to him, so what did you say?" I told him what I said and was sure to add BECAUSE HE COULD GET HURT(you moron) and he walked away, and the whole time I was thinking, you must have KNOWN what he was doing if you saw me talking to him, so why weren't YOU the one to tell him to ride somewhere else, after all YOU are his DAD, not me! Watch out for your kid! :dizzy: No sense.....
    Situations like that just reinforce my deep seated misanthropy.

8. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i saw some little kid ramping his bike up on our trailer and riding off the side and you know if he fell off and got hurt it would be all my fault

9. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I never really have problems with kids however I was mowing a back yard and saw a kid jumping on my trailer. I started flying down the driveway (very long driveway) and the second he saw me he ran away, I didn't even need to go more then half way down. Kids just don't have a good sense any more!

Cheers
    Jeff

10. grant087

grant087 LawnSite Member

i have a couple of houses it seem like the parents tell the kids to go outside and play when im there but after telling them a few times they never had the kids out again.........