look what i bought!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sodgod, Mar 5, 2005.

1. sodgod

sodgod LawnSite Member

I went to an estate sale this morning and look what i found! I made friends with the guy. He was a golf course superintendent and we talked for awhile. Real nice guy let me tell ya. He was interested to see a young kid in the green industry. I got both tampers for $5.00. no thats not a typo! They aren't running right now but if i have to put some money into them then so be it. It will be worth it. I need them for patios, walkways, and retaining walls. Can any one help me out on getting them running? Parts? tricks? He took me in back to his other barn and he showed me the two w/b mowers he had. One he's going to be selling this spring. hes gotta clean it up and get it ready. He asked me if i was interested. Of course i am. It's a lesco 48". he asked for my number so i gave him my card. He said he'll give me a call. What a day!

tamper2a.jpg

tamper1a.jpg

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

not bad. I am curious as how much it is going to cost you to get them up and running. And if you do get them up and running with very little cost, you got one heck of a deal

3. littlenic

littlenic LawnSite Member

What's that white stuff in the background, haven't seen that before.

looks like a great deal, congrats.

littlenic:rolleyes:

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

yeah! and there is a helluvalot of it! :waving:

those whackers (whacker packers) were a great find. I hope the LESCO works out as well.

GEO :waving:

5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

we got white stuff everywhere. be glade to send ya some, i think we were ready for green when all the white showed up.

6. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

I'll give you $25 for th blue one.....deal??? :blob3:

7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a real good deal, seeings how new replacements are $2500 or so ( 1999 prices). You didn't mention what brand they are.. MWM, Wacker? either way, they both have Robin engines, so parts shouldn't be too hard to find. Check for compression 1st,then check spark, then work on the carbs. Don't forget to change the oil in the hopping mechanism's cranck case, once you get them running.
    I imagine you've got your work cut out, but that's alot cheaper than buying new ones, and better than renting if ya need em' often.. Good luck.

Btw, the best place to find parts will probly be a rental yard, but they are usually gangsters on any parts/labor.. be careful.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

it even followed me on the site. I can never get away from the "white stuff"

9. Mycannon

Mycannon LawnSite Member

looks like you need a snow blower more than a whacker

10. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Congrats on your purchase. Hopefully it wont cost you too much to get them up and running.