Look what I found today

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lqmustang, Sep 8, 2005.

1. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

Guess where it came from :angry:

DSC00707.JPG

2. lqmustang

Here's another one with part of the coil pack showing. Yup, that got busted also.

3. lqmustang

oops, forgot the pic

DSC00705.JPG

4. Ironmower

Ironmower LawnSite Member

I'm going to guess one of the V-10's, being the plug is a Motorcraft?

5. lqmustang

ding ding ding, we have a winner

I'm getting my As* lubed and puckered up for tomorrow when I take it in. How many times has this happened, and Ford still is charging upwards of $3k for the fix.

6. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Lemme ask a question here....Why is this continuing to happen? I know what a dealership will tell you, but what inside that engine was not designed properly to cause this problem, and, why if Ford (or for that matter any other brand) knows this occurs is it not waranteed?

7. Ironmower

Ironmower LawnSite Member

It simply doesn't have enough threads for the combination of the spark plug and compression. The '02.5 and up are much better about it.

See if you can find a wrecked '02-'04 V-10 and take both whole heads from it and you will have the better threads--and come out a lot better than letting the dealer run away with your wallet.

8. lqmustang

I've done a bunch of searching around on the net, and this problem seems to be just huge. Ironmower is correct that the heads only have about 3 turns of threads for the plugs. There is currently a class action suit running thru California for this problem, but I guess Ford has been able to get the suit to apply only to California residents. I would fix it myself, but time becomes an issue. I've been able to get a plug threaded into the hole about 1 turn, and I'm hoping that I can get thru todays route. I'm dropping it off at the dealership as soon as I'm done, and then I'm headed to the Bahamas Saturday afternoon. I'm not about to let this screw up my trip. Hopefully by the time I get back it will be fixed and ready to go.

9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Quality ford engineering, the aluminum heads are not given enough turns to take the required torque for the plugs. Dealerships strip the heads on these all the time. Sucks big time because only fix is a new head.

10. lqmustang

I dropped it off today. They said they would try to retap the plug hole first, but I don't hold out much hope for such an easy fix. I'm pretty sure I'll come home to a huge repair bill. :cry: