Looked at my old ledgers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sikagrass, Apr 3, 2006.

1. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

What a difference time makes. In the 90s I had yards (1/2 acre) that were going for 50 and 55. Close to 10 years later yards in the same neighborhood are going for 35 and 40. We have to do more yards faster to make the same money that isnt worth as much as it was because of inflation (gas at 89 cents and we cried about it!).Is this just me or do you have pricing power in your market?

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

Not here, the average advertised price for lawns is $16, yes you read correctly $16.

3. ODwyerPW

ODwyerPW LawnSite Member

I just had a discussion like this with someone the other day. He runs a landscaping partnership. They do better than a million dollars a year.

They still do a little mowing.

We got on the conversation of pricing. He swore, he is getting the same prices he did 12 years ago for commercial mowing and plowing.

I held my pricing (despite fuel increases) to just a 2% increase on managed properties and lost 70% of my managed properties. Almost every time, folks bid less than half what I bid.

However, with private residentials, I was able to raise prices last year by 10%. Held the line this year. Haven't lost any private residentials to low ballers.

4. JCee

JCee LawnSite Member
    from NY

Where abouts in upstate ny?

5. ODwyerPW

ODwyerPW LawnSite Member

Albany NY, Rensselaer and Albany County

6. DixieFerris

DixieFerris LawnSite Senior Member

OP, I too own and operate in that area. I don't know why you are losing so much business and struggling with your retention rates and pricing. Perhaps you are too commercial dependent? Remember, this commercial accounts need to be coddled and kissed up to during the season. We provide a monthly report of how things look on their property with their monthly invoices, send them gift certificates a couple times a year, etc. ALWAYS kiss up to the gate keeper and/or purchasing requistions department. As for the homes, we provide weeding and mulch re-raking as an add on service, and by doing so (others won't get off the machines) we seperate ourselves quite nicely and get a great price on the yards. Should we get more or deserve more? absolutely, but we make enough so my partner and I don't work for 3 months in the winter, and pay ourselves about $50k a year each. That's enough for me right now

7. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

ok Im going to quit my whining this instant and be thankful I get 20 for just a trailer lot in a park! I dont think I could do scattered resis for that price. I guess we dont have it too bad after all.

8. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

I came across a hand printed door hanger advertising $19.00 for any lawn.
    How can that be possible?

9. JCee

JCee LawnSite Member
    from NY

Im in Schenectady, NY....let me tell you it is tough getting a nickle out of these old GE retired depression products....Everyone wants something for nothing.....By the way can you just chop those limbs down over there?, can you just bring my hose up from the cellar? it goes on and on....ahhhhhh

10. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

New ads this week and I found one for $15!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

............... I'm speachless, how do the mow only guys survive. Good news is my old customer resigned at $27.50, guess service counts for something.