lookin at trailers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cutterj, Feb 27, 2001.

1. cutterj

cutterj LawnSite Member

I've been looking at some trailers, need to hurry up and get one before the season starts because this will be my first season. I was lookin for some opinions. Is it worth the extra money to buy highr sides. And is it worth it to put mesh on the sides to make sure everything stays where its supposed to. These two extras will cost about 400 bucks more. Bringing the total to around 1700. Is it worth it. Any other advice also welcome.

o yeah, its a 6x12

2. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

if you plan to do a lot of hauling the higher sides would be better.
    some do not like the high sides, ones that you cannot reach over and grab things out from the curbside. it is not as easy for you and your workers but it also makes it harder for any would be thieves
    make sure you have all the room you need and room to grow.
    trailers and their space fill up rather quickly.

if you havent used the search feature yet that also might help.

good luck

3. 44toroz

44toroz LawnSite Member

I put wood on mine after I ran over my $400 shin. edger after it fell out. Ended up costing me $150 for a new shaft and something in the clutch. If you plan on putting anything back there that possibly could get through the holes then definetly do something. Keep in mind this will be useful in the future for hauling mulch or dirt which will save you the delivery fee which you can still charge the customer.

4. SodFather

SodFather LawnSite Member

If I where you I would buy an enclosed trailer thats what I use, it may cost more but all of your equipment will be out of the weather and locked up all the time. Another thing is buy a trailer alittle bigger than you think you need, you will always need room.

5. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

as beck says you may outgrow that trailer quickly..you might want to consider a large one. They cost just a bit more but I think it would be well worth it...atleast a 14 footer.

6. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

On our special use trailers, like a pesticide or water trailer, the mesh screening is essential, so hoses or small equipment don't bind up in the wheels.

7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd buy a "used" one to start out with .....save your $$ ...for "un-expected" things .....than later ( year or two) up-grade .....good luck ...

8. cutterj

cutterj LawnSite Member

thanx guys
    i think a 12 foot is big enough cause i don't plan on putting more than 2 mowers on anytime in the future. I'd love to uy enclosed but i'm only 17, don't think i could come up with that kind of money. I've used the higher side trailers workin with my uncle, and i like em. Not sure if he has mseh on the sides, can't remember. Thanx again

9. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

!2x6Foot for 1400hundred sounds a bit steep. I got a 14x6.5 with white spoke wheels. Its a Hogwild nice trailer, i paid 825dollars brand-new. You might want to do alittle more shopping around. I bet you can get alot better deal. Marks Mowing Service

10. cutterj

cutterj LawnSite Member

i called one place they said i can get one for 900
    not sure how heavy duty it is. would have to go take a look at it. I looked at a 6x10 used. He wanted 800 for it, wasn't in that good of condition. mesh on gate has to be replaced. says he payed 1600 for it 5 years ago. I said hes either lying to me or stupid for payin that

[Edited by cutterj on 02-28-2001 at 12:16 AM]