1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lookin' for a new truck....Ideas?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by RockSet N' Grade, Jun 24, 2007.

1. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I am looking to reorganize my rigs and set ups. I want to go to a gooseneck trailer that can handle a 20,000 lb hoe and 10,000 skid. Looking for a medium duty flat bed truck that can handle the load. Any thoughts or ideas?
  2. Greybeard

Greybeard LawnSite Member

If you're hauling a 20,000 lb. hoe, you're into CDL country already. You can pull it with a single-axle F650 or 750 size truck, but the gooseneck hitch kind of cuts down on your options for using the truck. It won't be a dump, for instance. Why not just use a regular tag trailer of 25,000 lbs. or so? That's what most of the guys do, and pull it with a dump - single, double or tri-axle.
  3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Your already running an older intenational right?
  4. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

just to make sure i read this right. you are wanting to tow both the skid steer and the ex at the same time on the same trailer. just off the top of my head i'm thinking 20,000# ex, 10,000# skid, 10,000 # trailer. you are gonna have a good bit of pin weight on that gooseneck. to get that moving will also take plenty of HP. i'd start looking for an old kenworth tandem axle and go from there. i think i would look at how other 30,000# machines are towed and do the same. good luck with your search, you are looking way outside my experiance or knowledge.
  5. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you saying you want to haul them both at the same time, or separate? I would go with a tandem tractor with a tandem low boy trailer. That's the set up that I use. The down side is there's a lot of tires to maintain, and it's not the best for getting in tight lots. It gives you a lot of options and room to haul different equipment though. I've thought about going to a smaller set up, but I keep coming back to being able to haul two machines together. If you go with something similar, get the hydraulic ramps on the trailer. It's worth the extra bucks, and your back will thank you!:weightlifter:
  6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If you want to haul both machines your going to need a Landoll type trailer or a trailer that is used to haul paving equipement. You can go with a step deck trailer and a regular truck tractor but you have a one use truck.

You go with a tandem axle dump with a tridem tag trailer so you have a dump truck to haul your material and the trailer to haul your equipment.

If you want a single axle medium duty you want a truck set up as a single axle truck tractor something with 12,000lb front axle 23,000lb rear axle 8 or 9 spd transmission with 10 litre or 11 litre engine (L-10 M-11 Cummins) (3306 Cat) with full JAKE no exhaust brakes. Or you can buy a tandem axle tractor they are cheap because there is so many of them the market is flooded.

Another option is build a tandem axle ramp truck so you can pack the excavator and tow the skid steer on a trailer. A tandem axle truck will beable to carry a 20,000lb excavator.

Good luck with your decision and anyway you look at it your going to need a CDL.
  7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

If you don't need a dump truck, I'd get a decent tractor as they can be had for cheap and get what GR is sayin, a hydraulic tail step deck. All the rental companies use them, they're super handy for getting 2-3 pieces on the trailer at the same time. A local company has a Trailmax 52K step deck that is a tilt deck, not a hydraulic tail, and it seems to be working for them, they transport a 320 on it exclusively. Even this beast would work, it would have enough capacity to handle your needs. Find one used, I'm sure this trailer is about $40K.

8. RockSet N' Grade

I have a bob tail and 24,000 lb trailer already...and yes, CDL is and has been the name of the game. I think I figured out what I am going to do. I hired a guy with a 10 wheeler with tag and he can pull some stuff around. I have gotten so busy lately ( started off slow and then went to red-line with work load ) we can't keep up. Lots of guys are booked through August/Sept. and I am getting all their overflow........here come the 18 hr days, 6 days a week........not complaining, just trying to figure out how to get it done more efficiently and increase volumn. Did not want to expand, but here we go! Right now I have enough work for two full time hoe's, 2-3 skids, grading tractors, and 3-4 laborers........gotta make hay while the sun shines.
  9. janb

janb LawnSite Senior Member

I'd do the tandem + air axle hook lift, plumbed for pup. (dump + ez load (fast&safe)+ a container drop box or two)

One I looked at had 60,000# cargo hoist, with rear tag (short wheelbase for turns) (way above legal load for one unit) he was licensed for 56,000# on the truck only. It had a 40, 20 and 20 yd box. One of my friends hauls his mini ex + RC100 and Timber Axe in a 40 yd container. He can load and manuver very quickly (~ 20 min), and never leave the truck once machines are chained on the dropped box or flatbed. He paid $12,000. it is a cabover w/ 350 cummins and 13 spd. A little tall for our 'heavy forests', but ez to get into a tight spot and turned around.
  10. RockSet N' Grade

Thanks guys for the input.......sometimes I get stuck in a rut with my own thoughts and it is nice to have some feedback to change/modify my line of thinking.