Looking ahead to Spring...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkwl, Feb 20, 2006.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I've come to the realization that Spring is coming. It's getting close to the time when I have to fire up the mowers and make sure everything will be ready (and running) for Spring. Now, for those of you on the East Coast (Maryland and North), when do you typically start Spring cleanups? When do you typically start weekly mowings?

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Our Spring cleanups start around March 1st. We typically go around to all of our customers and cleanup, trim and edge first then we come back and Preen and mulch. I like to have everyone done by Easter. It's been getting harder and harder, because we have so many customers now and I don't feel like hiring another guy just for the rush.

Chris

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I'll be starting things next week...actually still have to finish a job this week even. I try to get all the cleanups, mulch, etc. done by the end of March. When the grass starts to grow that's hard enough to keep on top of, without having lingering mulch and stuff on the schedule.

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

For me its unpredictable, usually the beginning of april i try, but even then we can have a snow storm. This winter especially as crazy as its been. But like i said, im going to shoot for the beginning of april this year.

5. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

March 1st in PA seems real real early? dam.. I hope we are going by april 1st in ny .. Hope everyone is ready for the season..

6. JBird

JBird LawnSite Member

we'll start with the clean-ups about the 15th of march, soccer season practice starts march 20th so we'll have to have aeration, ferts and pre's down along that time frame. res.around april 15th.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe March 15th...at the earliest.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I like to have all of my clean-ups, mulching and apps done by April 1 so I usually start that kind of stuff in the first week of March weather permitting.

9. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

April is when we start, depending on weather. I remember a couple years ago we go a snow storm after some people started clean-ups.

10. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

First week of April is about the time I start cleanups. Otherwise its just too dicey with weather. Snow is totally possible up until April. We have had some monumental storms in March. Last year I was cutting by April 24th