Looking at 21" mowers...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by flux_capacitor, Mar 15, 2006.

1. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor LawnSite Member

Hi all, this is my first post to this site. Looks like a great source of info. I tried finding a "search" function but couldn't locate one, am I missing it somewhere?

At any rate, I am trying to find some tips on finding a 21" self propelled mower. What are reputable ones? I want to keep it under $500. Looked at a Husqvarna 55C21HVU. Also, looked at a Cub Cadet CC-989. One thing I want for sure is front caster wheels.

I have been running an old Craftsman 21 incher for awhile now, alongside my 48" walk behind Lesco, and it has served me well, but it is on it's last leg. Also, it is not self propelled, which gets old.

One more thing: I would like to be able to bag, mulch, or side discharge if need be.

Thanks fellas for your thoughts. I am sorry if this topic has been beaten to death. I searched 5 pages of threads but didn't find anything that coverred this topic. I appreciate the help.

2. Sharp Services

Sharp Services LawnSite Senior Member

I have two Snapper 21's. You will pay a little more that $500 each for them, but they work great for me. I hav one set up with a bag and the other as a mulcher.

Good Luck and welcome to Lawnsite.

3. craglawnmanor

craglawnmanor LawnSite Member

I'd also look at Snapper. I purchased a new Snapper last week which has a "3 in 1" deck (side discharge, bag, mulch), self-propelled, with a Kawasaki 6HP engine for about $600 OTD. This same mower is available for less money with the Briggs engine. Snapper also offers caster wheels as an option.

4. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

welcome to lawn site flux, You have a wide choice of 21"s on the market. We have had excellent success using toro's. Don't know how many lawns you will be servicing but we get around 3 years out of them with little repairs. we service 120 yards per week. most common repair is to the hieght adjusters on the front wheels.:)

5. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Just took delivery of my 21" self propelled Lawn-Boy today. Side discharge, mulch, and bagger (I didn't get the bagger just yet) :cool2:

Eddy's Arrival 010.jpg

6. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

annd the right side...

Eddy's Arrival 011.jpg