Looking at 36" Hydro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag48, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Hey guys. Well, I'm back to looking at a 36", can't get a 48" dad says. I'm going to check it out this weekend when I'm over on the other side of the mountains. It's a brand new Toro 36" hydro full floater with e/start for $3500, which to me, is a good deal. I'm going to go through it pretty good and want to put it through the paces. I'll see if there is some way to test it out, but since I don't live over there, I can't really take it anywhere to try it out. Seeing how it's new, I'm sure there isn't a whole lot that is going to be wrong with it. I would like some input on this mower if anyone out there has one. I will specifically be mulching and have heard that between Toro and Exmark, the race is about a tie. Can I use a Proslide or Velke for this mower? I'm looking at getting a Proslide for it, but where can I get one? None of the dealers that I have talked to had any clue what I was talking about. LOL. Thanks for any input, positive or negative, I'd really like to know how these machines perform since I haven't really traveled down this road. I'll keep posted as I can. Thanks guys!

2. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Scag48,

I was wondering if the Toro you are going to look at has a twin-hydro setup? You know...a hydro pump and wheel motor for each drive wheel.

I just bought a Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36" w/ECS (15 hp Kawasaki) and if the Toro is anything like it I think you'll be very pleased. It is not an electric start type...but it fires on the first pull every morning. Great cut, easy to handle, easy to maintain, and gobs of power! A fantastic piece of machinery! I have a Jungle Wheels sulky (never tried the Proslide) so I cannot comment about that.

Good luck on your search...and "hydro rules!". :D

3. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

i emailed mark the proslide guy to see if he can set you up

4. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

Well scag48,
    the toro hydro is a nice machine and discharges well, has the 5bu bag which is nice, no latches. but no mulch kit.
    Exmark and toro fixed decks have a kit. i have one on my toro 36 fixed and arent that impressed with it. In fact i am taking it off.

5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Get the eXmark 36" Viking - put a Flex-Deck on it for a 54" cut-we sell direct for $1299 and you would have about 3 hrs mounting time - Add the "$4000 for a hydro and you will end up with a $5299 - flip up and get thru gates - trimming and contour mower that mows 54" width.

Just how much is a normal 54" hydro?

Thanks, Brad

6. SLS it has 2 pumps and wheel motors. It is the smae hydro system as an eXmark.

Brad has given you another option for the Exmark mower with a Flex-Deck.

Scag48 is it a pistol grip or t-bar?

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I checked out the Toro today. I wasn't impressed with it all that much. The T-Bar was easy to learn, but was annoying because you can't take one hand off of the bars to scratch an itch or something. It was good for the price, but it doesn't mulch. You have to get the 37" deck to mulch and that wasn't possible for the price. The single cylinder Kohler 15 didn't appeal to me. So, with all that said, he had a demo Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36" with Jungle Wheels on it. I was really impressed with this machine. With 5 hours on the machine, they offered a 15% discount, which the price before tax was $4100. Tax and mulch kit comes out to $4500 out the door. I tried the Metro HP 36" and the belt didn't compare. Doesn't counter-rotate with turns, and my dad even tells me its a waste to buy a belt when for $700 more, I can get a hydro. That's the direction I'm headed. When I get the money I'm going to go pick it up. Exmark is far superior to the Toro. I even got a free exmark T-shirt!:D My hat is off to the dealer. Very insightful and spent an hour and a half talking with me about it and letting me try the machines out. It's nice to have a good dealer and this one is definately a keeper. :)

8. dlandscaping

from mass

"The T-Bar was easy to learn, but was annoying because you can't take one hand off of the bars to scratch an itch or something."

What kind of tbar are you talking about??????
    You can operate that machine with only one hand never mind itching. And if you take both hands off it returns to neutral. I dont get what you are saying here.
    As for the toro with no mulch kit, yes as i said there isnt one but it has a larger bag. The tthp is a good machine but no elec start and ecs which i didnt care for. Well the decision is yours but dont get too hyped up about that mulch kit.

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

dlandscaping-If you take one hand off the hydro T-bar, the machine will turn, unless one hand was exactly in the middle of the bar, which would be tough. I don't want to bag. I don't care for it and it takes too much time emptying on the job and disposing after the day is over. I'd rather mulch because it's good for the lawn anyway. I'm not a big guy and I could easily pull start the TTHP. If you find that an inconvenience, I'd say you're a little picky. I'm not bashing the machine, I'm just saying that it didn't have what I'm looking for. The ECS handles weren't as touchy as the T-bar. The T-bar had a tendency to wander a little and couldn't get it to go perfectly straight. With the ECS, you just hit the two sticks on top to get it to move and steer with the levers, which wasn't too hard to learn. Also, on the T-bar, to get it to go full ground speed, you have to loosen those little things on the side of the bars to move up the front bar in turn making the hand bars go farther making the machine go faster (phew!) Now, if you want to go fast sometimes but want to slow down in some places, you'd have to set the speed bar as fast as you want to go. But when you want to go slower, you'd have to try and maintain constant pressure on the hand bar like halfway. If one hand got tired, you'd turn. Kind of hard to explain, but the Toro owners know what I'm talking about. Anyway, just my opinion. I'm headed down Exmark road. Hopefully we'll pick it up next week. Can't wait!

10. dlandscaping

from mass

Scag48,
    I am a toro owner. I use tbar every day. Have logged close to 650 hours on my tbar and mowed with a neighbor in the spring with his toro hydro. I have also used ecs and wasnt impressed too much work with thumb and fingers. Tbar is easier. I wasnt saying the tthp is hard to pull start in fact it is the easiest, I have owned that engine before, i was stating that you just dont have that $200 option on the exmark. You wont be able to mulch everything especially in the fall. When leaf season rolls around you will want a bagger. You cant mulch through leaves that your machine is just pushing along it doesnt work. This is why I am adding a tracvac to my machine and taking off the mulch kit. If you had an itch why not stop the machine since you have to on the exmark. I just found some of what you posted inaccurate. Good luck with your new mower though.