Looking at a 1979 chevy dump 4 sale

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by casco73, Nov 13, 2007.

1. casco73

casco73 LawnSite Member

I found a chevy C-30 with a mason dump has new inpection 4-speed 350 v-8 its not pretty but it runs real good. I'm firmiliar with this year had a few the only known problem is a leak in the gas tank and also a slow leak on an o-ring in the dump piston. These are things I can and have fixed before.Right now I'm using my 2000 dodge 2500 4x4 and i'm getting tired of hand unloading mulch ext. the price is $700.00 what is your opinion if its worth it or not? thanks!

2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i my self would not buy it because i guarantee as soon as you start to run that truck things will start to break over and over. you will have 3 or 4 grand in that truck before you new what hit you. and to add to that you will never ever get your money back out of it. i saw a truck in the paper, a 1995 gmc 3500 dump with 52,000 miles, 350 v8, new tires and exhaust for $5,000 obo. a truck like that is a good deal. think about it you will have 4 grand in that truck real fast and it will still be a ugly piece of crap. spend a little more and get something good.

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Holy crap, I think I'd be all over that at $700. IMO thats a heck of a deal.

4. casco73

casco73 LawnSite Member

yeah holy crap is right . I really don't see anyone spending $3ooo to $4000 grand on any truck like this junk yards have cheap parts and auto parts stores for a chevy of this age are very cheap honestly this won't be a daily runner just a load dropper

5. casco73

casco73 LawnSite Member

what do you work with ks??

6. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

1984 C20. Just your standard 2wd ( :( ) reg. cab long bed chevy. I got it about a year ago, paid WAY to much for it (over $4k acutally:hammerhead: ) but its dang nice, no rust AT ALL. Next season I am probably gonna look for about a 80 to 85 one ton extended WB 4x4 with a dumping flatbed to add to the fleet.

7. casco73

casco73 LawnSite Member

Yeah I have a very reliable truck. But a cheap runner that won't take much$ to fix would be a great investment. Just checking to see if anyone still runs older trucks and how they feel about them wether it would be a good investment/time saving money maker or not.

8. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

Hey I still run old trucks. Insurance is cheap fuel milage is not enough to make up the difference at the pump. for the most part parts are easy to get ahold of and are fairly enexpensive. I have a 84 dodge 1/2 ton and 85 1 ton and a 80 3/4 to chevy. My truck are in realy good shape I would drive them cross country in any weather condition and have. I will be getting rid of the 84 soo just because I ahve to many and its life is don well over 300000 I think their is a kid a church who is looking for a cheap truck so I will sell it to him. . Would I jump on a 79 chevy dump. Yes if power train is good and cump unit is solid. If you don't want it I would be interested. oh and buy the way the older truck can sneak around new smag test :) :)

I am not downing a new truck I am just saying not all of us can afford a new truck. and if we can we like making sure our wives have the new vehicke.

9. casco73

casco73 LawnSite Member

I totally agree packey I buy new for the wife and used is cheaper and I don't get upset as much if I scuff up my used work truck. I think I'm leaning toward picking this 79 chevy one ton dump. I spoke to someone today about it and they said $700 bucks for even an old dump that needs some work is well worth at least a thousand bucks. It seams many people are totally against buying anything thats old and not shiny. I make decent money but I don't have thousands for for a down payment or great credit to boot. right now if it works its for me and then again its another way of preventing a pile up at the junk yard L.O.L!

10. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

casco73,

Check for rust on cab mounts and floor. All others problems can be fixed by your self. 700 sounds good to me. If you don't buy it let me know i would like to check it out my self.