Looking at a DC and a Gravely

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spooln6, May 31, 2008.

1. spooln6

spooln6 LawnSite Member
    from OK

I have been looking at all brands of mowers on the market and read through pages on this site. I have narrowed it down to DC or Gravely due to service and proximity. I have been comparing and drove the Silver Eagle 27/52, 27/60 and the Gravely 260 XDZ with the 25hp Kaw and I'm going to look at one with a 27hp Kaw. I mow about 3 acres and it gets pretty thick with weeds, clover and some bermuda. What are your thoughts on the two? Particularly the DC. Its hard to find much info on any Dixie Choppers and the info is usually either great mower or POS.

This will mainly be a residential mower with maybe some commercial duty later.

Thanks for any help
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Demo both mowers.
  3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure you have a dealer close to home, and make sure he's been there a while..

or even two dealers..

Nothing worse than purchasing a 10,000.00 mower then the only dealer with in 300 miles goes out of Business. or moves. or stops carring that brand.

Good Luck
  4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

If I had to choose, I'd get the Gravely.
  5. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

If I had to choose, I'd get the Dixie Chopper. To prove my bias, demo both.
  6. DavisLawn

DavisLawn LawnSite Member

cant tell you about the DC but i have the gravely 252 and its a BEAST... you wouldnt be disappointed ... a cutting machine and a VERY comfortable ride.... and comfort is important if youre riding all day long.
  7. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i'd have to say gravely, wasnt too impressed w/ my DC. never had the gravely, but those that i know that run them love them. ive heard a lot of bad things about the DC lately too, such as company issues. i aint knocking the DC, it just wasnt the mower for me, and didnt live up to my expectations.
  8. spooln6

spooln6 LawnSite Member
    from OK

Well the 27 Kawi Gravely I was supposed to demo got held up and I got antsy so......I went and got a DC. There is just something about them, being so different than the others that I felt I should give it a try. I picked up a Silver Eagle 27/60HP. Just the little I got to use it yesterday I felt like it was the right decision but thats only based on 30 minutes so far. It plows through everything and never missed a blade. This is the same grass with 4 more days growth that I demoed a Gravely 25hp Kawi on that did an OK job with a few missed spots. And the OCDC is great. Why don't other manufactures offer this standard I don't know. I'll mow some more with it today just to confirm my first thoughts.