looking at a new holland.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by YardPro, Aug 21, 2007.

1. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

I need some help.

i am good friends with out local stone/mulch/paver distributer. We do well over $100K/ year with the guy....

he has offered to sell me his old new holland lx885 for $5K.....

he swears it runs perfect, and has only 650 hrs on the engine. it has a substantial hydrolic leak from the front wheel seal ( I a am assuming it also needs bearings)...

first, will this lift a pallet of pavers, next, do you guys think it is a good deal?

2. JDSKIDSTEER

JDSKIDSTEER LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the axcels are greased by a grease fitting under the bottom. You can replace axcel housing and all complete fairly reasonable. Price is great and I beleive it should handle pavers. Check the steering. Steering can get pretty sloppy, but can be repaired or maybe just adjusted.

3. markam70

markam70 LawnSite Member
    from USA

jd is correct. there are grease fittings for the axles but most people don't know they are their so they get missed.

new hollands are reliable machines. new hollands are by far the most popular machines in this area and i've seen many with over 6000 hrs on them being used every day without many problems but it depends on how well they're cared for.

as for lifting a pallet of pavers, i think it should be ok.

4. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

NH is the only skid steer that has grease fitting for the axcels(sp) right. Never seen any on any other skid.:confused:

5. accurate machinery

accurate machinery LawnSite Member

The LX885 is a well respected machine and the price is very good. Keep in mind that older LX series machines were prone to breaking the loader arms, especially in the rear, where the link rod meets the lower pin and bushing, in line with the rear grill. (look for a welded loader arm and or a welded link rod where it pins to the arm) If it has been repaired then your lifting of the pallet of bricks could be in question. I have seen them repaired and done well enough that they didn't break again but many times they re-crack and just need to be replaced to take the twisting and forces exerted by the vertical lift design. The newer machines look the same but the loader arms have some design changes that are stronger. I also look for leaking splitter boxes on the LX 885 and the LX865 (as well as the JD 8875), if the seal goes out in one of the pumps then it overfills the splitter box and pours oil out of the vent. Check for a dipstick under the seat, smack dab in the center between the pumps where they mount to the splitter box. When I inspect a LX885 or LX865 a quick check is to look under the machine and if the lower pans are wet with oil then go another step and raise the seat to check the dipstick on the splitter box. It could be just a leaky hose, more often than not the splitter box is over full and it can be a very big leak that follows you everywhere you take the machine. The repair is to remove both pumps and reseal both of them because you really can't tell which one is leaking and if you are already there then it makes sense to do both. I have couple of articles on my website about how I inspect skid steer loaders. You still have a good price, it should bring that in an auction unless it is cosmetically rough.

6. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

hell of a machine, at a stupidly cheap price.

if you don't want it, let me know and i'll drive out and get it.

7. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

New Holland makes very good machines. They use to be a bunch of them around here until the local Case IH dealership quit selling New Holland equipment.

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

well it seems that the deal has changed.

turns out that the price is $6K and it is a l785, which is a much older machine. the meter shows 3800 hrs, but there is a lot of wiring hanging out of the "console" that is not connected and looks as if it has been that way for a while.

I am going to give the guy a chance to to charge the battery ( machine has not been run in over a year) ans see how it runs. It does come with a 4-N-1 bucket and a set of forks.... also we can get the trailer for it for $500.00....

this guy is a friend of ours, and i don't think we would intentionally stick us. I am worried that the machine will turn into a money pit and strain our relationship.

9. accurate machinery

accurate machinery LawnSite Member

L785 New Hollands were great machines, some still are, the newest with the Ford/New Holland diesel are the most desired. If you are dealing with a 1990's machine and it has low hours it could still be a very usefull machine. If you do go with it remember that it could possibly have the New Holland style of quick attach, not the Bob-tach that is commonplace today and convient for universal attachments or rental attachments. It can been converted to the Bob-tach if it isn't already. Too bad it wasn't the LX885, that would have been a sweet deal for you.

10. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Alot of ways to look at this deal. If you need the machine, buy it......fix it up and let it go at that........I would probably buy it right now and get the trailer also and say "thanks", especially if the guy continues to give me 100k in work a year......I spent more this year on yellow book, website, newspaper, flyers, lunches, and yada-yada and I can't see where I got a thank you or a kiss or someone willing to continue to throw me a large slab of bacon ( 100k). Strain your relationship?..........think about the big picture and go grab that bad boy.....