Looking at a used 36" Ransomes Bobcat WB this weekend...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mister_snowplow, Aug 3, 2005.

1. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow LawnSite Member

I am looking into buying a used 36" Ransomes Bobcat this weekend. I talked to the guy selling it and he told me the mower is a few years old, but he hasn't used it much in the past 1.5 years because he lost his license due to DWI. He is selling the mower with a stand-up sulky and a metal grass catcher for $950. I am new to this, but I believe this is a good deal seeing that a new 36" WB usually goes for about $3000. Grass catcher is an extra $300-$400, and sulky's about the same? Ideally I would like to buy a new mower, but at this moment they are just too expensive. Does this sound like a good deal?

When viewing the mower, what should I look for and what questions should I ask the owner. I'm a little nervous and I don't want to be worked over. I also don't want to give the impression that I am a rookie. Any advice is greatly appreciated! :waving:

2. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Russo power equipment has brand new 36inch Bobcats at $1799

3. mister_snowplow

Hmm...really? I guess I was basing my price off of a brand new Scag 36" WB which I was told would run me around $3000. Unfortunately, I don't live in Oklahoma...otherwise I would buy a Bobcat at $1799.

4. mister_snowplow

Any advice in what to ask for and look for when checking out used commercial mowers? Thanks! :waving:

5. barnard

Make sure its starts easy, doesn't smoke, Works in all the gears. doesn't vibrate when blades are engaged. By the way the Bobcat at Russo's is in Chicago and on E-bay at that price. Check E-bay to get a rough Idea what various makes are bringing.

6. barnard

That's not a bad price on the mower you are looking at if its in decent shapein fact its a good price unless its clapped out.

7. mister_snowplow

This is what I was hoping to hear. I've seen pictures and it looks like it is in pretty good shape. I'm going to check the mower out on Saturday, I'll let you know if I end up buying it. Thanks for the help barnard. I appreciate it. :waving:

8. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Make sure the spindles are greased. This will usually let you know wether or not they keep up on the maintenance. Price is decent. For comparison, my ransomes 48" was $1,000 used, low hours. No sulky or grass catcher came with it. 17hp Kaw.

9. mister_snowplow

Thanks Ed,

I know this is a rookie question, but could you explain what and where the spindles are? I searched for them on google and couldn't find an explanation of what and where they are. If I buy the mower, it will be my first mower larger than 22" and I'd really like to know what I am looking at when I check out the machine this Saturday. Thanks.

10. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

Last year I bought a 36" Ramnsom Bobcat W/B that was a few years old but still in good shape. Gave $800.00 for it. No extras. I did have to buy belts for it.