Looking at a used SCAG 36" Belt drive...Questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CTservices, Feb 25, 2003.

1. CTservices

CTservices LawnSite Member

The mower is about 3 years old, low hours, good paint, includes a vulkey, has either a 13 or 15 horse kohler. Anything problems I shood look for? I have test run it, seems to run good, no smoke on cold start, good compression, shifts fine.. This is my first WB purchase.

Thanks,
    chris

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Scags have proven to be heavy duty and reliable machines. If the price is right I would say definitely.

3. G. Moose

G. Moose LawnSite Member

Sounds like a good deal. How much does the dude want for it? Reach under the deck and wiggle the blades up and down- if they have any "play" at all, they've got bad spindles. That's not a problem- just make sure you get an appropriate price reduction. Then buy new spindles. Scag mowers are hands down the toughest machines on the market- I don't care what anybody says. Kohler engines are tough too, although kawasakis are a bit more powerful (more torque).

Good luck!

4. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

I purchased a Scagg (used) 36" belt drive w/b, a 2002 model, only had 25 hrs, the guy traded it for the 48" tiger cub special going on now. I got it from the dealer he traded, my same dealer. It just wasn't for him.. It looked brand new. With a two wheel sulkie I got it for $2000.00, With the warranty.. And I'm happy as hell with it. I feel I got a good deal. Hope your situation works as well as mine did!! :D Good Luck....

Lou

5. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

I forgot, It has a 13 H.P. kohler...

Lou

6. CTservices

CTservices LawnSite Member

thanks for the replies. I'll check the spindles on friday, before I load on the trailer...:D

7. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 36" scag belt drive thats about 12 years old I use it on walk thru gates. It's still going strong. It's has a 14 Kohler

8. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have got a 36" scag and never had one thing go wrong with it, and it is about 4 years old maybe older. It has been a great heavy duty mower. I also run doubles on it and it works great.

9. SR Landscaping

SR Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Something to check. Stress fracture on the deck. If It had been used with a basket, they sometimes have them. It would be right in front of the opening.
    Scags are a great Machine, good luck with it.

10. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

To date the machine: If the blade PTO is engaged with a toggle switch it is more than three years old. If the wiring harness is bad, check connections, any splices to bypass OPC deduct ~$100.00. They're expensive. You can easily make the lower half if you have the book,but the upper half that plugs into the instrument panel is a bear and not worth the time to build.