1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at a Woods 6215

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RozarLawnCare, Sep 26, 2010.

1. RozarLawnCare

RozarLawnCare LawnSite Member

I am looking at a Woods 6215 with a Kubota diesel. I do not know much about Woods, but I think that it is a Grasshopper 721D with Woods paint on it. It had around 700 hours on it and I do not know the age. The dealer says it is 10-16 years old. Any help would be appreciated. What should I look for?

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

About 1994 or 1995 were the last years that the Woods machines were built by Grasshopper. anything newer than that, and it is hard to tell who built it. After Woods and Grasshopper split, Woods tried building them on their own for a while, until Grasshopper stopped them with a patent infringement lawsuit. Then, Woods contracted out their mower building, to whoever they could find that would do it at a price Woods wanted to pay.

3. RozarLawnCare

Anyone got any experience with these mowers?

4. RozarLawnCare

The serial # is 766889.

5. RozarLawnCare

It is in great shape, I am glad I bought it. Can't wait till spring, the mowing season is over here.

Copy of IMG_0822 (Medium).JPG

6. Mowingman

from Texas

Very clean looking mower. Not sure, but it looks too new, to be one of the machines built by Grasshopper. Looks more like one of the Grasshopper clones.

7. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

Huh? you can't put it away
    Put a cab on it and throw a snowblower on the front.
    The {snow}season is getting ready to start.:)

Good job grabbing that one up, good luck with it.

8. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

I think the new Grasshoppers with the hood over the motor is manufactured by Ariens. I'm not sure where Woods is with the new models. I think there still linked together in some ways.

The Woods had a problem with a few of the models in the middle 80s with the hydro was undersized. But I think they fixed it before the 90s models came out. Close relative found this out first hand. I have a older Grasshopper, done a lot of refurbishing to it. Parts for the Grasshopper are 20% cheaper in most cases. Its the same part but different part # than the Woods part.

All in all Wood/Grasshopper have been around for a long time and have mostly stayed in the high end residential and commercial units. Easy to fix and maintain,well designed, heavy duty mowers.
    I love there Ag tires and the deck load equalizer springs as a great improvement traction problems. Once you use it and get accustom to its handling you most likely keep it and have another. Around here most all the guys that mow cemeteries use Grasshopper front mount for the their better control and handling around gravestones. For me the only down side is the so dam long and it takes up a lot of trailer and garage space. It takes some getting use to the longer tail length behind you. I have banged into more than a few buildings and fences with the back of the mower making a quick turn as I pass next to building. It is so much longer than my other ZTRs. But you get use to it and not have a problem.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  9. Mowingman

from Texas

Lets get this correct and stop any rumors.

1. Grasshopper makes ALL of their own machines. Not one of their models is built anywhere else, except in the Grasshopper factory.
    2. Grasshopper is no longer connected to Woods in any way, shape, or form. That contract relationship ended back in the mid 90's.
    These are the FACTS.

10. Lehighlawnpros

Lehighlawnpros LawnSite Senior Member

Congratulations on the new machine Mr.Rozar, with only 700 hours it should serve you well for many years. Kubota diesel is all good! They run great on a
    heavy-duty diesel-rated oil like Shell Rotella T, I use 15w40 with good results.