Looking at a Wright Stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kemmer, May 12, 2005.

1. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

Ive always had my eye on a wright stander. went to the dealer yesterday to pick up some supplies and he had one out, so i took it out for a test drive, and damn, that thing is cool to drive :cool2: . it was a 48" with a 19hp kawi with electric start. it was awesome. hes selling it for $6400. im really thinking about buying. I already have a 36" scag with a proslide, i also like the design of the stander b/c its more compact, and i have limited trailer space.

Whats your opinion on the wright stander?

2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I love my 52", 23hp Kawi........I think it is a great all around mower for my operation. I don't have large properties that keep me on it for hours at a time.. My largest stop takes me 60 minutes including trimming and blowing.......

Derek

3. ensor

ensor LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Can't you get a 48/19 Scag Tiger Cub for $6400? Seems like you may be getting more for your money with the rider vs Stander. Is there a compelling reason to get the Stander over a rider?

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I love my stander, I own 3. If I had the work, I would get 5 to 10 more. They are the best thing for compact properties. They will out run a walkbehind and keep up with a ZTR. I can get 3 on a 14' trailer, were you only can get 2 ZTR on a 14' trailer. I do everything from a postage stamp to 3 acres jobs with mine.

Get the 52" size and at least 23hp. 17 is way under powered, 19 is ok, 23hp is nice and 25hp is freaking awasome. I would never buy the 48" version, it has next to nothing over hand on trimming side. Plus the 52" has way faster blade speed over the 48".

The 52" 25hp can be had for $6400, you just got to play hard ball with the guy on it.

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

If you've got the need and the green, do it. You'll wonder why you didn't buy one sooner. We cut up to 4 acre properties with ours and have no problems. Every mower has its place in the field, and the Standers are great for us. As Wil said, they take up so much less trailer room, we went from a 14' mowing trailer down to a 10' for getting in and out of some of the tight driveways here in Morgantown. The 14' trailer is now loving life as a hydroseeding trailer. Get a field demo, and cut a few properties with one and see the difference.

6. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I demoed one and they are a blast. Get the 52". Just like Itsgottabegreen said there is almost no overlap trimming on the 48" which is important because you will cutting through beds and leveling those neat edge lines in no time. The 52" gives you more room to play with.

$6400 is very high for Ohio. I know that prices in different states vary but my dealer is selling 52'' 19hp for $5600. PM me if you want his number.

Good luck

7. Sweetwater

Sweetwater LawnSite Member

I bought a floor model at end of 2004...52/23 for 5400.00. I hate it! It will not hold a candle to even my gear drive Metro 48 for cut quality. Streaks like nobody's business and even the Wright rep is perplexed by the streaking. It has been in the service bay 4 times since March and I have been fighting hard with this for past month and will soon retire unit...or sell it to you for 4800.00 so I can buy another Exmark.

8. rockstate

rockstate LawnSite Member

I just bought my 52 23 stander this year brand new for 5600. I also own a TTHp 48" and my stander will blow it out of the water. I dont see myself happier with anything else but the stander.

9. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Can you test drive a similar Stander for a day or two? I can ride mine for a few lawns and then my lower back starts to ache. This would not be good if it were to be your main mower. I personally can not imagine mowing 3 or 4 acres with one even if it did not hurt my back. My preference is to sit rather then stand, and you can get a pretty good variety of riders near your price range. I just picked up a 52" Super mini with a 27 Kohlor, and there is no stander that can keep up with it. I would also reccomend the 52" for the same astute reasons as were previously mentioned if you do go that route.

10. Sweetwater

Sweetwater LawnSite Member

Rockstate,

Two letters to Wright and their rep stood me up on an appointment today to view the problems I am having. I really wanted this thing and my friend (also competitor) came on one of my jobs and laughed at how crappy my Stander is compared to his. The only saving grace is awesome local dealer, STI!!! I asked Wright for a replacment or refund and they have seen the problmes once and want to look again b4 saying anything. My position is that I expect fast correction! This damaged p.o.s. is costing me time (money) and mucho frustration.

I know most are OK, but the taste in my mouth...aghh