1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

looking at buying a 2500 hd 4x4 2001

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jdogg399, Mar 12, 2009.

1. jdogg399

jdogg399 LawnSite Member

can u guys who have one give me some feed back on it
    it has 126000 8.1 vortex auto looks good and runs good
    what do you guy think the going price is and anything bad about these trucks die hard chevy guy here
  2. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

don't pay much for it
  3. Humez

Humez LawnSite Member

8.1 is a guzzler I have a 6.0 and that will pull whatever you put behind it or in it. Stay chevy for sure but 6.0 liter or diesel.
  4. jdogg399

jdogg399 LawnSite Member

what price range would you guys say
  5. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

under $5k.
  6. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

you dont give any real info. the 8.1 was a good motor. I love big blocks
  7. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

its a good motor, but a guzzler...the 6.0 will pull everything that the truck is rated for (and then some, trust me, i know from experience)
  8. jdogg399

jdogg399 LawnSite Member

what details do u need
  9. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

Your question is to general for anyone to give you a "ball park" price on what it might be worth. What is it? EC, CC, RC, LB, SB, LT, WT, etc...

A far as what to look out for, my experiences with Chevy's are: Intake gasket leaking, axle seals leaked on all mine that I owned, and the notorious "Pump Rub". I became a victim of it this year when the clock turned 169K. By the time I noticed it, it was to late and it cost me $1500 and was down a truck for 2 days.

If you don't know what pump rub is, Google it and you'll get a few million hits about it.

Over all I have had good luck with Chevy's/GM's.
  10. rwar

rwar LawnSite Member

go to kbb.com and put in your info and it will give you the value,i have a 05 2500 6.0 and it has been a good truck so far,that 8.1 is gonna get in your pocket,but this 6.0 does too ,but if you can get it under blue book go for it