Looking at buying a dump trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by pitrack, Jun 11, 2009.

1. pitrack

pitrack LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys I am in the market for a dump trailer and was wondering what you guys thought about buying one on ebay? I don't like buying stuff online (I bought a snow plow online too and saved a bundle) but you can save quite a bit of money compared to places around here locally. I am looking at this trailer, looks nice what do you guys think? An equivelant trailer to that around here would be upper 6's for sure. It would cost me around $600 to have it shipped to me plus the price of the trailer obviously. Thanks for your thoughts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-2009-...34.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|301:1|293:1|294:30

2. AdvancedLawns

AdvancedLawns LawnSite Member

i would go look at it before you buy...Make sure they have enough clearence between the axle and the bottom of the bed...alot of dump trailers i looked at had issues with bottoming out...Good luck!

3. pitrack

That's my problem it is pretty far away so I would be getting it shipped to me so I can't really look at if before I buy it.

4. AdvancedLawns

AdvancedLawns LawnSite Member

email him and ask for pics of the axles and where it bolts onto the frame and such...

another thing make sure he has brakes on both axles and at least 2 7000lb axles

BTW, what type of work are you using this for? What kind of truck will tow it?

5. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

yeah looks pretty good, i got a "good" deal in nj/pa in 07 on mine, but was over 7k after tax! its a 14' 14k, no spare tire, no radial tires still. I bought new $600 radial firestone tires because the bias plys suck, they got so damn hot with a load it was unsafe, finally they wore out WAY fast and some split and blew out ;/ never again.

Make SURE you have at least a 1 ton truck or minimum say a F250 ford superduty and a diesel or else its going to feel like towing an anchor with anything gasoline powered lol. If your looking to haul dirt/stone/sand etc it fills up to the 14k faster than you think.

I only fill mine not evne half way with stone or sand and i know im over 14k already. Theyre normally 3800-4800lbs empty with the ramps and box in front and all.

6. wellbuilt

wellbuilt LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a good price . I have a trailer just like it , with out the tarp roller and with out the adjustable hitch.

7. pitrack

I was looking at getting the 12k trailer instead of the 14k, would you guys suggest a 14k instead? I have a 2500 Cummins I will be pulling it with. Thanks for the replies.

8. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

That's a really cheap price.... lets hope they didn't go cheap with the parts! I wouldnt want something half assed pulling 12k worth of stuff behind me and have something go wrong. I put down a deposit on a 7x14 14k axle bri-mar heavy duty dump and almost costs double that. Find out what kinda of pumps they use. THe monarch are suppose to be the best. Also check the brakes, hyrdro lines etc. Did you buy it allready? because the auction ended.

9. pitrack

I have no boughten it yet, I was planning on contacting them and buying one through their company rather than on ebay. I will have to find out what kind of pumps they use.

10. wellbuilt

wellbuilt LawnSite Senior Member

I think if i was buying new i would go for a 14k lb trailer . I have 2 12k and a 10k . I agree with petr its a very good price . I have the same one and mine is very heavy duty. John