Looking at buying a metro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by matthew horner, Jul 24, 2004.

1. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

Buddy has a metro he'll sell me for 1700. Its a 03 model, less than 50 hours, pistol grip, 12.5 hp kawa, fixed deck.

Is this a FAIR price, or is it pretty good considering?

I need something to go between my 21's and my 60, but I'm kinda leary of 1.fixed deck 2.pistol grip 3.deck height adjustment.

Please advise.
  2. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally would pass for exactly those 3 reasons. I personally would spend just a little more for a floating Toro w/ t-bar, but then again I don't know what type of accounts you have.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

You'll be saving $600-$800 off the price of a new unit, so that's pretty good. I've been happy with mine. Not the fanciest machine, but it gets the job done.
  4. matthew horner

whats the equivalent toro or hustler go for?

5. Ric Harris

Ric Harris LawnSite Member

What's the deck width, 36 or 48 inch? Sounds like a Great Deal, price wise.
  6. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

Ya, for $1700, that's a good deal.

I ran one of those as a loaner unit once when Gravely in shop. Simple, basic...not the fanciest, fastest machine on the block...but, it got the job done.

I wouldn't buy one new, there are better machines out there. I don't mind pistol grips, but quick height adjustment is something I do really like. However, if $1700 is all u got...it seemed like a decent machine, and that's a pretty good deal.

It'll get the job done :)
  7. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll second the opinions here. It's not a high-end machine at all, but for a little money, it's a lot of mower.

The fixed deck cuts cleanly, but from time to time, I see spots that a floating deck would mow more cleanly. The issue with regard to cutting height adjustment has not been as big a headache for me as I figured it might at the beginning of the year, so I'm not sure how worried I'd be about that if I were you. Flip side is that in the future, I'll always get a floating deck just in case.

As for the pistol grips, they really are hard on the mitts, but if this mower is going to fill a gap for you rather than become a primary mower, I wouldn't worry. You won't put in enough hours on it to leave your forearms feeling like they're going to fall off.

It's definitely a good price and if it's only a niche machine in your operation, it's probably a great investment. I don't know anything about your operation, but my impression is that it's most likely a good move.
  8. matthew horner

It would be used about an hour a day.

I just wonder if I should wait until next year or this winter and get a little more juice and a hydro. I still want a 36 though. I think it may be a good investment also, and I'd prob be able to sell it for that price again if I kept it in good shape.
  9. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems like a good price.

I'll take it.:)
  10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Well it must be a 32" or 36" if it has a 12.5 kawi. I have a 32" metro, a great little machine. They just run and run. Cut very well.