Looking at expanding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Green Guys, Jun 10, 2008.

1. The Green Guys

The Green Guys LawnSite Member

Hey guys,
    I'm looking at expanding my business by getting another truck, but I have a few questions I hope you guys can help me with. The truck i'm planning on starting would be a 1-2 man crew with just push mowers. Each new truck would have 50-60 clients at $27 ech. One question i have is what do you guys pay your employees? Another question is how much is the insurance? Is it worth it? And should I have one or two man trucks? Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Tyler

2. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

the only thing i can say from being on my own as a solo. Its hard sometime to get out of the truck. even more so when its hot or rainy or the buggs are nasty. 2 guys makes it easyer because they push eachother

3. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

if you are not sure about ins. you need to stop and think about your family and your stuff. no ins. and if you get a claim your screwed . are you llic ? to run a bus. you can't be un insured . think about the big picture.

4. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

Definitely insurance. Workmans comp, blanket coverage on equipment, and accidental damage insur.

If only running push mowers, definitley 2 guys. One pushing, one trimming, blowing, edging. Let em take turns if they want.

As far as pay, I'd be more worried about finding two guys that will stay all season on a truck with push mowers. When you do, I'd make it worth their while to stay with you. I honestly don't know how you're going to make money running a one or two man crew on $27 cuts.

Are they small enough, or close enough to at least do 2-2.5 properties an hour?

Do some hard thinking and figuring before you decide to start another crew. Pretty big commitment and lots of disappointed customers you service if it doesn't work out.

5. The Green Guys

Thanks you guys! I would be fully insured on equipment and everything, thats a must. But how much do some of you guys pay your employees and how much do you charge a yard? How much do you pay for insurance?

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Between $9 to $12...driver gets more.

7. The Green Guys

What about paying a guy $12 per house @ 10 houses a day? And then paying the other guy hourly.

Thanks!

8. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

are you paying workers comp and taxes ? you may just want to stay hourly . not much profit paying $12.00 per house if you only get $27.00 per home . then you have to pay the other guy hourly. just my 2 cents though.

9. The Green Guys

True, but I want to pay enough to keep the guys motivated to work. I dont want to get 60 clients and then them quit on me. And yes I am going to pay taxes and work-comp. Im almost thinking that I should just stay with one guy and pay him $12 per house. Is there anyone with employees that can help me out more? Thanks for all the help guys!

Tyler