Looking at F-350's..is a deisel worth the extra 5k?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by RLSLandscaping, Apr 6, 2006.

1. RLSLandscaping

RLSLandscaping LawnSite Member

well the F-350 Deisel NEW is $5,000 more than the Gas model...what do you guys think out there? I gotta take the plunge and go new it seems..every used truck I see that's remotely decent is $26,000, I can go new for a few more thousand and have a nice warranty....I got a gravely 36, toro 22, husqy & redmax trimmers, stihl edger, stihl hedge, little wonder 10hp push look'n at 48's currently...I don't have a ton of lawns per say...but I got a ton of customers that have me do everything but weekly maint. mulch, leaves, trees, rocks, patios, sidewalks, sod, planting projects, building beds, lighting...you know the drill...I'm not hauling BEDROCK is all I'm saying....is the deisel worth it for what I need it for?
  2. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

with diesel around here back up to $3 a gallon, i bet you'd save 5,000 the first year in fuel alone. the gasser gets terrible mileage. if you take care of the diesel, and i mean by the book and on time, it'll last forever.
  3. First, how many miles a year do you drive? To make it even close to worthwhile you need to drive over 20,000, closer to 30,000 a year is better.
    Second, what are you hauling? If it's a 10' to 18' open trailer and your not doing alot of landscaping jobs that require bulk material such as rock, trees etc then no.
    Third, the cost of fuel is alot more hence my first point, you need to drive alot of miles to make up the fuel cost difference.
    Fourth, maintenance on diesels is higher, check out what an oil change cost.
    Fuel filters changes are critical also.
    Do you do alot of stopping and starting short hops around town or longer runs?
    Answer these questions and you come up with the answer.
    There is a intangible factor:DIESELS ARE COOL!:cool2:
  4. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

talk about gas all you want,why do think used ones are are 26000$.wouldn't you rather be that guy in 3 years?.
  5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I know Diesel fuel is more money right now but I sure feel much safer driving one everyday. I would say spend the extra $$$$ Take care of it and it will last a very long time.
  6. bobcat9957

bobcat9957 LawnSite Member

Not in 3 years why invest the 5k in somehing that will "last forever" if you are gonna trade it in in 3 years. The guy with the gas job will get 20k so it will all equal out in the end. Just my .02
  7. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

1. Better fuel economy
    2. (much) higher resale
    3. Longer life
    4. Much more capable at towing

1. Purchase cost - as you've discovered
    2. Diesel costs more than gas (right now anyway)
    3. Bigger/heavier truck not much good for just tooling around town
    4. Diesels like to run, not start and stop

Personally, given the choice (funds) I'll never own anything but diesel again. However, they aren't for everyone. If you just want to run around the city, making a lot of stops, and aren't pulling a heavy trailer, I'd go gasser. But if you pull a big load, do a lot of highway driving, or just like the sound and smell of a diesel, then go for it!
  8. mattyg50

mattyg50 LawnSite Member

i had an F350 5.8L and that thing sucked up the gas

i finally stepped up to a diesel, also with the help of this forum, a 1999 F350 4x4 powerstroke, and i got it for a good deal

there are deals out there if you want used

also for haulin the diesel does get better mpg than gas, it has to work less

there is also one other thing to look at
  9. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

where do you find those deals? i am dying to get an f-250, used at a good price
  10. mattyg50

mattyg50 LawnSite Member

i found it on ebay!!!

i bought a 1999 F350 bare bones, but does have a/c and a aftermarket cd player
    and it has a flat bed, 108k, $10,000

the only thing i may do is get rid of the flat bed and put a regulare bed on