looking at my options for next year

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JCLawn and more, Jul 21, 2013.

1. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

$45 an hour for two people seems low, I can average 60+ working solo, but every area is different, hope you figure it all out.

2. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

I don't mean working time. I am talking mowing+travel time. Ya we get a $30 lawn done in 10 min, but then add travel time, phone calls and all that jazz it dropps your daily average quickly. Also 2 people does not equal double production.

3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Here's what I would do. Get everyone on a 7 or 14 day rotation, 10days will have you driving around too much. Go through all your accounts over the next month and keep times on every stop and the drive time in between. Figure out how much extra work you get from clients and start weeding out the nonprofitable jobs (you will be surprised). The only 14 day accounts I would keep are the ones that are between other stops so that you're not adding drive time. Another thing is to not play into the I want to be serviced on X day of the week and drive 15 miles for one stop. Its X day of the week for the customer or you can talk to someone else about service.

I did this over the winter and found that my highest grossing route was also my least profitable one as there was too much drive time.

As far as target marketing be careful it works but don't offer a super low price based on getting multiple customers to have half of them drop you. I agree though that its better to make 1 stop service 6 homes at $30/week than 6 stops at $35/week.

4. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

Having done this for a while I've seen it work both ways. Granted its easier to do 6 at once. However if you have to drive 20 miles one way to the jobs, vs doing a route with a job every 3-4 miles, sometimes the route pays better after expenses.

5. knox gsl

In theory you would make several $35 (or more) stops along the way to off set this drive time.

6. JCLawn and more

from MI

I do that now. You have to do 2 $35 lawns a hour to keep your averages up. Its tough to do and give top notch quality. Its more like 1.5 $35 lawns a hour and at $45 cost that's a slim margine.

7. knox gsl

You need to get your times down or prices up then, $35 yard should be 13-18 minutes max for 2 guys.

8. JCLawn and more

from MI

Exactly. Now add unload and load up time and 2 or 3 trafic lights or stop signs. Now your going less than 2 per hour.

9. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

raise your prices by $5 per lawn. Just do it. Don't worry about the ones that might quit, you aren't making anything from them anyway. This will be the single best business move you ever make.

10. JCLawn and more

from MI

i did that this spring. Some went up way more than that