looking at my options for next year

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JCLawn and more, Jul 21, 2013.

1. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Ya everything would be the Gold package. Here mowing season would be may-oct so if they payed april-nov I could offer it all. Also the fert I would use is called one-ap made here in MI. So that cuts on cost and I got my old college to use it and they are having better results than a 4 app system. I am pretty much a mow and blow business now, I think that needs to change also.

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

One thing that makes a good profit for me is small one day installs. Normally the gross on these is less than $1800 but the net is around $1000. That is pretty good for a solo plus part-time guy. After that I aim for $650-$700 mowing days (done by 2pm) 3 days a week and landscape/ bed maintenance on Fridays.

3. JCLawn and more

from MI

That's kinda what I am aming for. Schedual wise.

4. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I totally understand where your coming from with the costs eating through your revenue. My partner and I are considering cutting back a little and letting the employees go next year. In the past when guys didn't show up for work and we had to mow solo we could bring in 450-600 per truck which makes us wonder why we pay a employee to make 700-900 a day per truck.

Haven't made an decisions yet but considering the true cost of employees and they abject stupidity it appears we would make more money with lower revenue. With no employee bs and fewer clients to have to deal with. I always wanted the big company but I am starting to question it.

I had a guy this week pull a no show so I brought in last years employee. This guy just did a few months in prison and now lives in hotels and the entire day in the truck was spent on the phone. And your love this he has 5 girls working for him and he was setting up their appointments. He can't seem to get that I don't wish to employ a pimp.

5. TJW_692

TJW_692 LawnSite Member

my worker and employee's are me, me and me. Don't work that means no money and losing jobs. Keeps me ontop of getting things done and i get to keep all the money to myself.

6. JCLawn and more

from MI

We all need cloning machines........

7. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

Looks like a business opportunity right there.... Kelly's Landscaping, Bikini Lawn service and Pimp delivery extraordinaire...

8. JCLawn and more

from MI

I remember when I guy was on the news with a bikini lawn care service.

9. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

Ya, but around here that would be Honey Boo Boo's mom running around. No one wants to see that in a Bikini...

10. JCLawn and more

from MI

Your in WV, I bet there would be a market for her hahaha