Looking at new quad setup - Dumptruck

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Cornell, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Cornell

Cornell LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Our Ford L9000 Dump is getting to the point where the yearly repair/maintenance costs are really getting up there so I am looking for a possible replacement.

I found these 3 trucks and am wondering why they are still around.... bad economy? Or the fact that the have the smaller sized engines instead of the usual C13 Cat or similar Cummins?

I really like these trucks and the fact that they are "new" I priced out a similar 2012 and wow is all I can say.

Is the smaller motor something to be concerned with and possibly why they have been sitting for 4 years?

We have a Triple axle T50 trailer that we move our case CX160 and Doosan DX180LC around on.... is it going to struggle pulling these 40k pound machines around?

I really hate having underpowered equipment.

Just looking for some insight.
  2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

C9 cat is way to small. It needs a C13 but a C15 if you like a little extra. I cant believe a dealership even took these on.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Cornell

from MN

That's what I was thinking.

Seems like they are stuck with them now.
  4. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 370hp ISM in my truck, and I pull around 43K lbs. everyday with the combined low boy and equipment weight. We don't have a lot of hills, but it does just fine, and that motor is good on fuel. Having said that, I'm a hp junkie so I would love to have an ISX, but I needed a truck in a pinch and this was one that I could afford so I jumped on it.
  5. toomuchtime

toomuchtime LawnSite Senior Member

Motor is way to small for those trucks. ISM is a good motor for a tandem axle truck but not for a quad. I have two tandem axle dumps one with a big cam 400 the other is c13 425 both with 13spds I would look for this combo as minimum. For a dirt truck I would not want anything else but a 13 speed.
  6. Cornell

from MN

Guess I am going to keep looking then haha
  7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 460 hp Mack with an 18 speed and pulling a triaxle with my 160 excavator at 6000 + feet and I would not want any less of a truck. You dont have the alt. issues we have here but I would get more hp as well. A smaller displacement engine is only efficient with lighter loads, when you start running them at max capacity the fuel use often surpasses a larger displacement engine with the same load.
  8. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

all those trucks are at my local Cooper KW dealer lol.
  9. Cornell

from MN

I know!

I love your KW and they are so pretty lol. I'm just pissed they have those small ass motors.
  10. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Saw some older KW quad's on Craigslist over the winter that I liked but nothing good now. There is some nice 06 Mack Granite's floating around that are my Quad of the Month.