Looking at Shielded Sprayers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lawn Enforcer, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

Hey everyone,

I've been doing lawn apps for a few years now and I have run into an issue, this was my first year also working a job (6:30am-1:30pm) and a couple extra afternoon shifts (2:00pm-6:00pm) during the week with weekends off. The best times to spray are typically when I'm at my early shift at work and it seems to always be breezy when I'm free. I also do mowing, aerations, etc. so my time is precious. What are everyone's takes on ProLawn and Rogers sprayers? I've spoken to the President at ProLawn and it seems like a great product but the price is up there ($3k+) and I've figured I can use the single shield (Around 52") on 85% of my lawns. I'd like to mount it on a Everride Scorpion stander. Anyone with experience with these products or have made your own like them? Anyone have any for sale?

Thanks!

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I would be concerned that the spray solution would accumulate on the inside of the shield fabric and then drip down on the grass in an irregular and concentrated form.

3. gregikins

gregikins LawnSite Member

I have been using a prolawn 3 section sprayer for 10 years now. I would not use anything else. I got a lot of big lawns and I can cover an acre in 15 min with it. It is still a bad idea to spray in windy conditions even with the shields. I am in a rural area so wind is a issue most of the time. It is not fool proof, but it does help.

4. Lawn Enforcer

I had it described to me that it's like flying on an airliner, going 500mph and you open a can of pop while sitting in coach and pour it out it will go straight down because it's protected. Apparently the shield is dry when you lift it up and look underneath.

5. Lawn Enforcer

I figured if I were to have 25 or 30mph winds one day I wouldn't spray anyways just due to the drifting that could occur while filling and spray that might be kicked up by wheels/etc. We have a lot of 10-20mph wind days that I'd like to be out. Is it true the shields are dry underneath when you lift them up?

6. Service 1st Lawn Care

Service 1st Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using a Rogers sprayer for over 12 years on my large commercial properties, have never once had a problem with product accumulating on the inside. The science is there and it works, best weed killing machine I have ever used. There not cheap but then anything of quality never is other then replacing the skirts have never had a problem with the unit.

7. Lawn Enforcer

Thanks for the info! I thought it would probably have a more effective kill being a smaller droplet of spray.

8. Lawn Enforcer

Bump to the top, any other comments? Still leaning towards a ProLawn unit
    Posted via Mobile Device