Looking At Starting a Lawn Maintenance Company

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by WGLandscapeMaintenance, Feb 15, 2009.

1. WGLandscapeMaintenance

WGLandscapeMaintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

Title says it all, What do I need to know?

2. albhb3

albhb3 LawnSite Senior Member

read and use the search button youll figure it all out welcome

3. FourTrees

FourTrees LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone 6

Just start reading threads. Tons of good info here, just grab threads that sound interesting and go.

BUT do not stop here. Go to your local library or book store, find the best books you can find. Get them and start reading. There are some great books that lay it out there for you.

Problem with asking that question here is that it takes BOOKS and EXPERIENCE to explain it all. No one here has enough time to spell it all out.

No harm in asking questions, just bring enough info with you to ask specifics and you'll get far better answers.

4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Try asking specific questions.

5. Suburban Cowboy

Suburban Cowboy LawnSite Member

IMO- I think there are going to be a lot of new companies this year! We are all hurting

6. NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have any experience in this industry?

7. WGLandscapeMaintenance

yes i do, in 07 i worked for a lawn company 1 day a week (first job) tough work but enjoyed it (mowing, trimming, leaf blowing), but was getting paid cash and my grandpa (CPA) wasn't happy with that so i had to get a new job, which was at a govt park district doing park maintenance which was mowing, trimming, and way too much tree work, and this year i am still debating what i want to do for a job whether its working for the park but at a golf course or starting a lawn company full time or doing the golf course work and part time lawn work because im 17 and a senior in high school and will be going to college in late aug. I do have the entrepreneurial spirit and i definitely would like doing lawn work for my own clients rather than for a govt golf course making barely anything compared to the lawn company, and also, i plan on owning a lawn company after college and to be able to operate and still make a profit i will have to charge more than i will now, but would that turn away customers even though it will offer more services?

8. ALLPro Landscaping

ALLPro Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Check with local laws and regulations first before anything, if this is something you want to do, make it legal

9. WGLandscapeMaintenance

Yeah I had figured that, I wont turn 18 until June and in MN you cant own a company until then but I would like to start working in April or whenever the snow decides to leave. How would I pull that off?

10. chepamab

chepamab LawnSite Member

I would continue with the park job, since you are leaving for school in August. Plus, you should make your business legal, which means doing your books when school starts, and from my personal experience you'll be to overwhelmed with classes and homework to have to put up with your books (not to mention tax time).